Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broke Tranny

Old 06-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Broke Tranny

Hello guys, last week my Cherokee Sport 2001 broke the tranny at a STOP sign a minute from house, I was driving my mom from Eye surgery and I did the STOP when I took off it felt like I was dragging something my mom thought I hit a bicycle and the bike and kid was under the Jeep, 2 seconds of the noise I stopped completely, check to please my mom no one was under the Jeep, took off again and nothing happened, I left mom at house so I could go to drug store for the prescription doctor gave for her eye, when I tried reverse at mom's house Jeep didn't move, like emergency brake was applied, checked and no emergency brake applied, step on the gas Jeep took off and locked the wheels right away, I thought I broke the rear end spider mesh or something, so I left the Jeep went to drug store on my Daewoo called a friend on the way and he said right away, "it broke the planetary, it what those AW Japan Trannys like to brake" I need the Jeep right away so he advise to buy one from Junk Yard, I am installing it as we speak but want to know if the broken tranny can be rebuilt but bullet proof, since it is known those AW like to brake the planetary if there is a Planetary upgraded, that in the future that tranny can brake but not the planetary, Thanks in advance TURBO.
4x2 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Stock everything, I wanted like that, no bigger wheels nor mud tires, it is all stock by the book, just in case you wonder if it has any mods on. TURBO

Last edited by TurboPirate; 06-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Yes it can be rebuilt. But it will cost more than a JY trans.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Bud you did something besides normal driving to that transmission...especially in a 2WD Jeep. I have the original AW4 auto tranny in my 91 XJ and my Jeep has 270K miles on it. And most of that has been 4wheeling the hardest trails of Wa., Or., Nv. and Ca. The AW4 is a very stout tranny. That is beside the point. Like G O D said, it is rebuildable but for what a rebuild will cost you, you can buy 3 or 4 low mile AW4s out of your local junkyard. I think that original tranny in your Jeep was either hurt bad by a previous owner or it was just a factory lemon. That happens sometimes.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

my aw4 has over 400k miles. i agree with buck.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

It could be hurt by previous owner, I did mention to my friends that work on repair automatic trannys that I find hard to believe that tranny will brake at a STOP sign but they all said the same thing, that the planetary is the weakest link on that model and it is not the first they have seeing braking without giving it any punishment, Jeep has a little over 100,000 miles and all I do is drive it as my main vehicle no spinning tires and offroad, anyway I already got a tranny at the local Junk yard but I wish to repair the broken one to have it as a spare, is there a kit or somethin to make it bulletproof?
Another thing, is that the only automatic tranny that will fit my Cherokee, or is there another auto tranny I can use?
Thanks in advance TURBO
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I'm always suspicious of oil change shops... sugar in the fluid? Sand? Always seems like people have prbs shortly after a shop "fixes" something...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
I'm always suspicious of oil change shops... sugar in the fluid? Sand? Always seems like people have prbs shortly after a shop "fixes" something...
Until yesterday I didn't find any sand nor sugar but I'll remove the cover and look for what you mention and metal particles.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

That is the only auto tranny that is a bolt in job. You can always go with an AX15 manual out of another XJ. That would be bolt in also. I'm sure you can hit up Advance Adapters and put in any kind of tranny you want but it will cost you.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Woops!! That was ment for TurboPirate.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:18 AM

Thanks Buck and Billy
I know everything cost, but I was wondering if there was another auto tranny for my Cherokee, my friend has a Jeep Grand Cherokee same engine 4.0L but his ride is 1998, it uses different tranny oil filter than mine, but no one seems to know what tranny his ride came with..................manual tranny is out of the question, my mom is the driver #1 in the Cherokee, drug store for pills, groceries, bank and that is it, she can't drive manual......then I use the Cherokee, when gas prices get high like right now it went all the way up to .99Cents per liter then I use the Daewoo(good 44 mpg) Anyway I just need ideas on what tranny can bolt to the engine, electric wiring not in question, just the bolt to engine and shaft compatible, thanks in advance Turbo.