Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Brake problems

Hi all I have a problem with my brakes on my 2001 Ltd jeep and any help would be grateful , It started about 3 months ago while driving every now and than when I applied the brakes the peddle will go hard and the jeep will not stop until I keep pressing the peddle and all works again I've hard it plugged in and the read out comes up with nothing wrong .
Old 06-27-2019, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

The brakes still function correctly, just it's much harder to push the pedal down - is that accurate?

If so I'd suspect that you've got a vacuum leak in your brake booster. The first thing to do is check that the vacuum line that runs into it is in good condition and firmly plugged in on both ends. I believe the line is connected directly into the intake manifold, and then obviously into the booster. If the line is cracked or old, replace it with some general vacuum hose from your local parts supplier or hardware store.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:19 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You have no codes because it's probably not an ABS system and the computer doesn't monitor the brake system otherwise. About the only indication that something is wrong is that little red "brake" light when it runs out of fluid.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Hi the engine is diesel so it has a vacuum pump which is driven by belt, the brakes work well 99 precent of the time and its only just started in the past 3 months , the last time it happened I was in a traffic jam and moving at 5 mile PH when I pressed the brake it was hard and the vehicle would not stop until I applied the brake again then they work correctly and since then they has work ok. I have checked the vacuum pipe and it's ok it feeds the server , turbo and then goes into the bulkhead if I take the pipe off at any point the brake peddle goes hard, I have a friend that had the same problem and at the end he got rid of the jeep. I'm fitting a vacuum gauge to the pipe so I can see if it alters while driving after that I'm lost.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by sparky8
Hi the engine is diesel so it has a vacuum pump which is driven by belt, the brakes work well 99 precent of the time and its only just started in the past 3 months , the last time it happened I was in a traffic jam and moving at 5 mile PH when I pressed the brake it was hard and the vehicle would not stop until I applied the brake again then they work correctly and since then they has work ok. I have checked the vacuum pipe and it's ok it feeds the server , turbo and then goes into the bulkhead if I take the pipe off at any point the brake peddle goes hard, I have a friend that had the same problem and at the end he got rid of the jeep. I'm fitting a vacuum gauge to the pipe so I can see if it alters while driving after that I'm lost.
Is belt tension adjustable ?
Old 06-29-2019, 01:44 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Seems to me it should have a reservoir somewhere. Maybe the pump isn't working as well as it should, like not pulling a vacuum fast enough when it's depleted.