Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

parking brake cable on disc brake kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L Gas
Default parking brake cable on disc brake kit ?

Hi guys !
I've got a little problem on my XJ.
My rear axle is a Chrysler 8.25 and i mounted a disc brake kit from crown from 4WD.com on it. But now the problem is that my original parking brake cable is not adapted to put on the parking brake fixation rear the disc. I mean that i can't stick my old parking brake cable on the new disc brake kit because it's not the same than on the old original drums.
Is anybody had the same problem ? And what was the solution you applyed ?

I know that the system of the disc brake kit is the same than on the ZJ V8 5.2L for exemple. But i think the original ZJ cable is too short to put on my cherokee. what is your opinion about that ?
Thanks a lot for your help.
And sorry for my bad english.
Bye.
Fredo... from France !
Old 05-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I think if you Google disk brake conversion for your type of axle / XJ you'll probably find a write up on that. I know I found a few write ups for converting disk brakes to a XJ Dana 44, Dana 35, and others.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I got to cables from auto zone for my set up for like 30 or 40 bucks just had to do a little rigging to fit them
Old 05-19-2009, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

Not sure if you can do what I did but... I did a Ford 8.8 disc swap on my D44 where the e-brake is a small drum set up on the inside of the rotor. I cut off the end of my old e-brake cables and looped them around the hook mechanize for it and clamped it. You can check it out in my build thread here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...?t=4784&page=3

It's been on there for several months now and hasn't let me down yet. Only cost me like 3 bucks for the clamps at Walmart.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Desertfox1023
Not sure if you can do what I did but... I did a Ford 8.8 disc swap on my D44 where the e-brake is a small drum set up on the inside of the rotor. I cut off the end of my old e-brake cables and looped them around the hook mechanize for it and clamped it. You can check it out in my build thread here:

It's been on there for several months now and hasn't let me down yet. Only cost me like 3 bucks for the clamps at Walmart.

Thanks desertfox1023. I seen your old message and the pictures, and it's exactly the same system i have. So i will try to do like you did, making a loop with the cable and clamping it with something. I think it's a good idea.
I will let you know what happened ! LOL
Thanks again everybody for your ideas !
Bye. Fredo
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Yeah this is what I did as well I just got longer cabels so I can get better flex with out having the cable limit it at all
Old 05-20-2009, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by a1racer
Yeah this is what I did as well I just got longer cabels so I can get better flex with out having the cable limit it at all
Ya this in never a bad idea. YJ cables are 4" longer and are the same style as XJ's. You just need to make sure and by 2 passenger side cables if you do. You only need to do a small mod to the connector to make them work. A simple search will show you how
Old 05-21-2009, 02:33 AM

Ya this in never a bad idea. YJ cables are 4" longer and are the same style as XJ's. You just need to make sure and by 2 passenger side cables if you do. You only need to do a small mod to the connector to make them work. A simple search will show you how

Good to know !!!
Thanks for that !
Today is a holiday in france so i will go under my XJ to see what i can do.
Many thanks for all your ideas !
Let's go now !
Old 05-22-2009, 03:12 AM

IT WORKED !!!!!
Many many thanks Desertfox1023 !!!
I did exactly the same like you and it worked perfectly. I just cutted each spring a bit, clamped the cable and trying the handbrake and it worked good.
So thanks a lot for your so easy but useful solution !
Good bye !
Old 05-23-2009, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fredo57
IT WORKED !!!!!
Many many thanks Desertfox1023 !!!
I did exactly the same like you and it worked perfectly. I just cutted each spring a bit, clamped the cable and trying the handbrake and it worked good.
So thanks a lot for your so easy but useful solution !
Good bye !
Glad to have helped. I can't say I invented the wheel but I can show you how to use it. Don't say good bye though. Stick around I may need your help some day.