Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brake Problems

I just installed new brakes on my Cherokee. new rotor, pads and caliper on the passenger front. turned rotor and pads on drivers front. new shoes and wheel cylinders on the rear drums. The drums looked ok, no grooves. Anyway the person who had it before me let the passenger front rotor disintegrate and that allowed the caliper piston to come out draining all the brake fluid. I've bleed the master cylinder and all four wheels. my brakes are still spongy and I don't really have any brakes unless I pump the pedal. Help!!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Also, the new caliper has the bleeder valve on the bottom and the old calipers have the bleeder valve on the top. I'm replacing the new caliper with one that puts the bleeder valve on the top and I'm going to do the rear brake mod and bleed the master cylinder and proportioning valve.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

SCARY!! Sounds like you might want to have somebody take a look at it. That caliper is upside down on the wrong side. At least make sure the slotted ends of the pads are up! I've never bled a proportioning valve.

A trick for bleeding by yourself, a tube long enough to sit in the drivers seat, leave your finger on the end while you slowly let the pedal up.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
SCARY!! Sounds like you might want to have somebody take a look at it. That caliper is upside down on the wrong side. At least make sure the slotted ends of the pads are up! I've never bled a proportioning valve.

A trick for bleeding by yourself, a tube long enough to sit in the drivers seat, leave your finger on the end while you slowly let the pedal up.
No, it was the wrong caliper. I took the new caliper back and exchanged it for one with the bleeder valve on top. After install my son helped me bleed the new caliper and now I have brakes. However, I'm gonna have to flush the whole brake system and add new fluid. The fluid in the master cylinder appears to be contaminated.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by silveradols
No, it was the wrong caliper. I took the new caliper back and exchanged it for one with the bleeder valve on top. After install my son helped me bleed the new caliper and now I have brakes. However, I'm gonna have to flush the whole brake system and add new fluid. The fluid in the master cylinder appears to be contaminated.
How do you flush contaminated brake fluid out of all the brake lines?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Also, the new caliper has the bleeder valve on the bottom and the old calipers have the bleeder valve on the top. I'm replacing the new caliper with one that puts the bleeder valve on the top and I'm going to do the rear brake mod and bleed the master cylinder and proportioning valve.
Caliper on wrong side or got wrong side from auto parts if the bleeders on the bottom air goes up

Last edited by freegdr; 08-22-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

How do you flush contaminated brake fluid out of all the brake lines?
bleed bleed bleed,soak up all the fluid from the master with a rag refill and bleed bleed bleed
Old 08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

You can also try to do a "Reverse Bleed"

Leave the cap off the Master Cylinder,and use a pump style squirt oil can (The metal ones work best) with brake fluid in it. Open your bleeder on the wheel,attach a vacuum line to the bleeder and then to your oil can and slowly squeeze the squirt can.

This will chase the air "UP" where it naturally wants to go. Heard it works wonders on Hydraulic Clutches.

You can also gravity bleed your brakes

Take the cover off your Master Cylinder,top it off with brake fluid,then open each bleeder valve on the wheels. Pay attention to your level in the Master,dont let it get too low or youll introduce air back into the system.

After about 10-15 minutes,go back through and close up your bleeder valves,and top off your fluid. Dont forget to put your master cylinder cap back on.

They also make 1 man bleeder valves. They have a check valve in them so all you have to do is crack them open and press the brake pedal,you can do all 4 wheels at once with these installed in each wheel.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Caliper on wrong side or got wrong side from auto parts if the bleeders on the bottom air goes up
we got the wrong side from the auto parts store. Now we need to flush out the old fluid and put some clean fluid in the system.