Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brake issue.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Brake issue.....

Hey guys, ive been fighting a brake issue for a solid month of free time with no gains being made. Problem started after i let the XJ sit for a couple months of cold weather. I had no brake pedal, no leaks, no fluid loss. Strange huh. Now ill admit ahead of time, im not a brake man, but i just dont think it should be this hard to figure out. I found a couple splits in outer sheath on the front rubber lines, so i replaced those. Sucked out old fluid, flushed the remaining, and bleed about 3 gallons thru it so far. I did find the right front caliper was freezing intermittantly, so its replaced along with new pads on front, and new rear drum shoes. Still no leaks, no fluid loss, no brake pedal. Replaced master cylinder, bench bled, replaced old unit, still no go.

One strange thing is that before the caliper change i was getting air out of the right front and left rear like crazy, since caliper change its now the right front/rear combo that has the air issue. And yea im about to need a straight jacket, cause its driving me nuts.

Please, please, please pppppuuuuuhhhhhhlllllleaaaaasssseeeeeee any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and ill throw in a dog to boot! (We run a dog rescue).

Travis
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

No ideas, really?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

I am no break person either but could be your proportioning valve, could be a hardling and not one of the hydrolic lines. Now since the air issue moved from one side to the other with a caliper change could be the other side is bad as well just not freezing up. Just some ideas.

Also sometimes this late at night you won't get a whole lot of response.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:27 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

no pedel at all? or some at bottom of travel!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 93 4.0HO

could be your booster box
Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking master cylinder, but it's hard to say. If you have NO pedal, that would be where I'd start. HTH!!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
I'm thinking master cylinder, but it's hard to say. If you have NO pedal, that would be where I'd start. HTH!!
Hmm I guess someone did not read the OP..:P He changed the Master Cylinder and bench bled it as well.. Sorry just couldn't resist..
Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Hmm I guess someone did not read the OP..:P He changed the Master Cylinder and bench bled it as well.. Sorry just couldn't resist..
I did read the OP, but I think it would have to be the MC to have no pedal, that would still be suspect in my book. That, or line blockage would be the only things that would cause no pedal, IMHO!! BTW, thanks for having faith in me...

BUDDY!!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
I did read the OP, but I think it would have to be the MC to have no pedal, that would still be suspect in my book. That, or line blockage would be the only things that would cause no pedal, IMHO!! BTW, thanks for having faith in me...

BUDDY!!
Doh gotta rain in on my parade.. Sorry just had to raz the newbie...

Yeah I'd agree as well on master cylinder just didn't mention it since he had replaced it..
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a connection thats not leaking any fluid, but will suck in air,... sometimes will happen

no pedal as in it will go straight to the floor without any resistance? like if you pulled a caliper off of the rotor and pressed on the brake pedal the pedal will hit the floor and not push out the piston in the caliper. If you try this, dont let the piston push too far out and fall out of the caliper. thats a mess in itself.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Doh gotta rain in on my parade.. Sorry just had to raz the newbie...

Yeah I'd agree as well on master cylinder just didn't mention it since he had replaced it..
I wouldn't expect nothing less!! LOL!! Razz the FNG....great!! Guess I'd better get ready!! LOL
Old 02-25-2009, 12:24 AM

Sorry for the late reply guys, wife had booty/movie nite ready. Thanks for the responses.
I should elaborate some. The pedal goes down to manual engagement. So very little stoppage.
I checked the booster, it doesn't leak down and pulls correct vacuum, also does not push pedal up when vehicle is shut off.
I also bled the prop valve on the top fittings, i tried the front connection with the piston rod an such, but it felt almost welded on, was afraid of breaking lines.
Funny how the air in lines moved like it did. I just cant explain that.

I guess i will be blowing out the hard lines . Checking connections and just generally looking over the system as a whole again.

Quick question
, the front of the prop valve, when you take the rubber boot off, and the brake is pressed are you supposed to see any thing sticking out? Cause i can see what looks like a little hole in the middle of that threaded connection, but not sure if it is anything or not.

Thanks again guys.

Travis