Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Bogging down

So its POURING out here and Im supposed to be heading out for an 800+ mile trip. I checked the oil and it was a little low (I know this, I have a leak) so I added. But due to the rain I slipped and spilled some. So I started her up, went and got the hose and sprayed it off. While spraying she revved up a little at one point but I didn't think much of it. So I shut her off, packed, got in and started her and the engine light came on. I figured I just got something wet, whatever and I went and got gas.

I think she's in fail safe mode because she wont shift and wont go more than 23ish. I went down to the local garage, told him the story, he said he agreed and cleared the code which was the TPS. I left and a couple hundred yards up the street she still wont shift. I go back, tell him, we look at all the connections and nothing. He takes her for a ride, comes back and says shes shifting but just idling high, don't worry about it, take my trip. He thinks maybe I sucked some water into through a possible air leak, itll settle down.

I called a buddy and told him, he says he agrees, maybe drive around town til it settles down. I JUST got back from 2 miles in which the shifting is off and on, REALLY rough and idling SUPER high. In my driveway parked, shes idling up to 2400.

So, anyone have any ideas? Im really lost.

Last edited by bigvig; 07-23-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Edited with some new info.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I would certainly say it's time to replace the tps. They don't like getting wet.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by 97jeepxj40
I would certainly say it's time to replace the tps. They don't like getting wet.
agreed! get some dielectric grease too and coat the harness when you do. this will help to prevent water/debris getting in and will help conductivity. if its acting up, try disconnecting the TPS and see what happens.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

I agree. The throttle position sensor is one of the engine management sensors that really HATES water.

Because you used a hose to clean your engine, you likely got the TPS wet. The code you received also leads you to the TPS. The OBD system isn't perfect, but it is awfully darn good at pointing you to the offending circuit. Believe the code.

I have seen "marginally wet" TPS units come out of it, but most don't. Replace your TPS with a Mopar unit. Add a small dab of dielectric grease to the connector after spraying it with electrical contact cleaner to get rid of any residual moisture. Don't go aftermarket with this sensor; they are hit and miss and it is a very important sensor.

And don't use a hose on your engine in the future unless ALL electronics are covered. Too risky with all of the electronics. Some people get away with hosing down the engine compartment. Until they don't and then they're on this forum too......

Last edited by tjwalker; 07-23-2013 at 06:13 PM.