Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

PCM wiring and dead injector driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.6L Stroker
Exclamation PCM wiring and dead injector driver

Hi,

I Could use some advice in regards to this issue. I have an 00' XJ and I have twice in a month killed the Cyl#1 injector driver circuit causing a dead miss. Before replacing I noticed that injector wiring for cylinder number 1 & 2 along with the temp Sensor wiring was fused into one melted mess. That wiring was cut and patched, soldered and heat shrinked. I replaced the PCM and it ran fine for a couple weeks. It then happened again on the same injector. Injector had been swapped out initially and is not the same as the first time. It is still getting spark and will run normal if jumped from CYL#6 injector driver.

Question I have is what could consistently be killing the PCM circuit? I have noticed the third connector on the wiring harness for the PCM (connector C I believe) is broken and looks pretty beat up.

Could grounding be an issue or cause? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Shorted wiring harness will kill it. The only good way to fix the harness is to either replace it outright, or cut it open and replace (not repair) each wire inside. If it's the PCM plug that's bad, cut it off and solder/heat shrink a replacement on. Move one wire at a time so you don't get anything misplaced.