Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

blown headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

Well found out i blew my headgasket.... so after alot of thinking ive decided on ordering a head overhaul kit from a buddy that has hookups for 200$.

My buddy is helping me do the work(big cummins guy and has experience) but I am lost, an he is confused on where to start and what all needs to be done.

oil/coolant change?(how many times? 50/50?)
head torque speqs?
what do I start with?

This is my first time doing serious engine work.... So just remember everybody's gotta start somewhere and learn.....

Last edited by IZAREBL; 04-04-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:58 PM

this will be over your head if you are asking these simple questions. get a chiltons or haynes and pray you can fix it.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Im fairly confident someone like you could do it. but you should get a haynes or chiltons for all the specs. Definetely change the coolant and oil. May as well change it. plus you said there was oil in your coolant. so that = BAD.
Completely drain the cooling system, maybe flush it out. and change the oil and filter.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Are you sure the head itself isn't cracked?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Flowpro
Are you sure the head itself isn't cracked?
I agree that you need to be absolutely certain of your diagnosis. The 0331 factory head on the 2000 and 2001 XJ cracks way more often than the headgasket blows. Especially with an overheat of the engine.

How did you troubleshoot this? What led to it?

The more details, the better.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Lol those questions I asked were just random ones, sarcasm....of course you change the oil and flush the coolant.

But my the reason this came up was because recently my jeep has been overheating ALOT. (never to the point where it cut off, just rough idle at crank and you could fry eggs on the hood)

So I checked my coolant overflow cap to find what I thought was mud/gunk(i check it frequently) so I immediately took it in and tried to get a full radiator flush. Well while I was there(Firestone) about 10 minutes or so after the pulled it in the shop he came out and told me that there was oil in my coolant, and the only way that could have Happened is if my head gasket is blown/cracked.

My coolant has been brown and mucky since I bought my jeep several months ago, but always has stayed green in the cap up until this happened

Oil Dipstick has no milkyness.... But the engine is running horribly.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

I see you have a 2001 model with the 0331 head. I think the whole engine is toast.

Pull it and do a complete rebuild with someone who has gasoline engine experience. And use the best quality parts. Replace the head with a new casting. TUPY or similar. Use the search engine on this forum.

Or sell it for what you can get out of it and get something else.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000.1999,1996

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
I see you have a 2001 model with the 0331 head. I think the whole engine is toast.

Pull it and do a complete rebuild with someone who has gasoline engine experience. And use the best quality parts. Replace the head with a new casting. TUPY or similar. Use the search engine on this forum.

Or sell it for what you can get out of it and get something else.
Not if the oil was in the coolant and even if vice versa, it doesn't mean the engine is toast you simpleton. Grab a chitons for all your torqe spec's. Get a new head from anyone that sells aftermarket heads if yours has a crack between cly. #3 &4. Get a head gasket kit it will have all your other gaskets needed (head valve cover,intake/exhaust,etc) new head bolts,thread sealent for #11 head bolt (iirc).They have a gasket glue so you can glue the head gasket to the head so it will stay put.All your fluids etc.Some of these guy's on here come out with some of the dumbest answer's which just show's the amount of stupidity stuffed in there heads.It will run like **** if the head gasket is blown.I would really think about a new or a redone head that adresses the weak spot between clyinder #3 &4 for the price plus you have it all apart as is. Also http://www.hesco.us/ has new waterpumps and highflow waternecks check them out.good luck.

Last edited by 413maxwedge; 04-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

413Maxwedge: Name calling and personal gaffes only show your lack of intelligence.

Crawl back under your rock.

If you would have taken the time to read the posts, you would see that oil and coolant have mixed for months.

That tends to wipe bearings, but of course you never considered that.

At the very least, the OP needs to check the bottom end very carefully before just doing the top end. Or he may end up doing it twice.

But it's not your money or time, so what do you care?

Last edited by Firestorm500; 04-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM

413Maxwedge: Name calling and personal gaffes only show your lack of intelligence.

Crawl back under your rock.
Well I'm sry but it just fit with your GUESSING game that the motor is smoked, amazing you know that without begin there, anyways I'll kick your rock over for you, sorry I hurt your feeling but it did fit at the moment of your lack of intelligence for a real answer, anyways moving on. I think you are reading something backwards.

Last edited by 413maxwedge; 04-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by IZAREBL
Lol those questions I asked were just random ones, sarcasm....of course you change the oil and flush the coolant.

But my the reason this came up was because recently my jeep has been overheating ALOT. (never to the point where it cut off, just rough idle at crank and you could fry eggs on the hood)

So I checked my coolant overflow cap to find what I thought was mud/gunk(i check it frequently) so I immediately took it in and tried to get a full radiator flush. Well while I was there(Firestone) about 10 minutes or so after the pulled it in the shop he came out and told me that there was oil in my coolant, and the only way that could have Happened is if my head gasket is blown/cracked.

My coolant has been brown and mucky since I bought my jeep several months ago, but always has stayed green in the cap up until this happened

Oil Dipstick has no milkyness.... But the engine is running horribly.
I was reading this post. What one are you reading???? Firestork500
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

You're just a 17 year old kid living in your parent's basement.

Nobody takes you seriously.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 413maxwedge
Not if the oil was in the coolant and even if vice versa, it doesn't mean the engine is toast you simpleton. Grab a chitons for all your torqe spec's. Get a new head from anyone that sells aftermarket heads if yours has a crack between cly. #3 &4. Get a head gasket kit it will have all your other gaskets needed (head valve cover,intake/exhaust,etc) new head bolts,thread sealent for #11 head bolt (iirc).They have a gasket glue so you can glue the head gasket to the head so it will stay put.All your fluids etc.Some of these guy's on here come out with some of the dumbest answer's which just show's the amount of stupidity stuffed in there heads.It will run like **** if the head gasket is blown.I would really think about a new or a redone head that adresses the weak spot between clyinder #3 &4 for the price plus you have it all apart as is. Also http://www.hesco.us/ has new waterpumps and highflow waternecks check them out.good luck.
thanks man... glad someone can give me a straight answer.

i dont know if ive stated it before, but im 16 and pay for everything on my jeep so im working with little money that i get from my landscaping business(which i run, and currently out of work because i dont have my jeep to tow) blah blah blah haha ranting over here.

but i guess ill just start tearing down with my friend who has knowledge.... and go from there. ill be back on here with more answers without a doubt.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM

You're just a 17 year old kid living in your parent's basement.

Nobody takes you seriously.
Boy when your shown your wrong, you get all upset, everyone makes mistake's it's ok.No need to try and mix your life into mine though , save up your cola can's and maybe in a year or two you can get an apartment. So dont be a Name:  hater.gif
Views: 89
Size:  1.4 KB I think your mom's calling you she need's to use the phone so you'll have to get off her laptop.Goodday ******.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by IZAREBL
thanks man... glad someone can give me a straight answer.

i dont know if ive stated it before, but im 16 and pay for everything on my jeep so im working with little money that i get from my landscaping business(which i run, and currently out of work because i dont have my jeep to tow) blah blah blah haha ranting over here.

but i guess ill just start tearing down with my friend who has knowledge.... and go from there. ill be back on here with more answers without a doubt.
Let me know if I can try to help (pm,me if you want) .

Quick Reply: blown headgasket