Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Blower Motor resitor write up

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Blower Motor resitor write up

Hey guys I'm looking for assistance with changing my blower motor resistor. I'm told its easy but I'm looking for a write up for it. Could I got it at school? Thanx
Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Look under the passenger side dash. 2 screws holding it on where the harness plugs in. It would be all the way to the right of the black housing outside of this photo.
Attached Thumbnails Blower Motor resitor write up-tcu-fuse.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

I just did the replacement today during lunch. Did it on my 95 xj with a 4.0.
On my XJ, the blower resistor is on the passenger side under the glove compartment. If you look under there.. you'll see a rounded piece of plastic with only on little screw facing you. Back that screw out and that plastic kick shield piece will come right out. It has a slot in the backside that slides onto a screw in the back when you reinstall it. Once its out..you'll see a round, cylindrical, silver thingie.. (have no idea what it's for) but to your left of it is the resistor. It's held into the plastic wall with two hex head screws.. 7mm if I recall. pull the connector off and unscrew those screws and pull the resistor out.

I'd like to point out tho that if you are replacing the resistor, replace the blower motor too!. That resistor is overheating for a reason, and most likely its because the blower motor is defective. If you just replace the resistor.. you WILL be replacing it again shortly.. unless you also replace the blower motor.

my two cents.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by outersketcher
On my XJ, the blower resistor is on the passenger side under the glove compartment. If you look under there.. you'll see a rounded piece of plastic with only on little screw facing you. Back that screw out and that plastic kick shield piece will come right out. It has a slot in the backside that slides onto a screw in the back when you reinstall it. Once its out..you'll see a round, cylindrical, silver thingie.. (have no idea what it's for) but to your left of it is the resistor. It's held into the plastic wall with two hex head screws.. 7mm if I recall. pull the connector off and unscrew those screws and pull the resistor out.

I'd like to point out tho that if you are replacing the resistor, replace the blower motor too!. That resistor is overheating for a reason, and most likely its because the blower motor is defective. If you just replace the resistor.. you WILL be replacing it again shortly.. unless you also replace the blower motor.

my two cents.
Money well spent.....LOL.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outersketcher

my two cents.
Is the blower motor hard to install? Im a novice at working in cars
Old 10-14-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by frado2jr
Is the blower motor hard to install? Im a novice at working in cars
Nope. 1 plug and 3 bolts.