Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 4.0 with issues... obviously

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 87 4.0 with issues... obviously

Hi there!

I'm new to Jeeps and am a tad mechanically inclined - though, I'd rather have my mechanic buddy do the wrenching and me play beer jocky!

I just bought an 87 with 230k miles on it last week that's got a few issues that need sorting out. I've been doing some troubleshooting and searching around but I thought I'd just list out the issues I have and see if anyone wants to take a crack at it!
  1. Oil in the air filter. (I narrowed this down to a backed up CCV - or in my case a CCV that's broken at the grommet)
  2. OIL LEAKS. (This engine leaks so much oil and has for so long that it's hard to discern where the hell it's coming from. I figure if I fix the CCV, replace the rear main seal, replace the valve cover gasket, replace the distributor gasket and replace the drain plug that would be a good start)
  3. Air leaky brake sound. (I've narrowed this down to a faulty brake booster. I just replaced the brake booster valve and this didn't fix it)
  4. Slow to respond brakes. (I think that replacing the booster may fix this but I was wondering if I should just replace the master cylinder while I'm in there. No it doesn't appear to be leaking. I've noticed a bit of rotor wear so I'll do pads and rotors and a good flush as well)
  5. Strange sounding vibration coming from the transfer case/transmission area while at idle - most audible when brakes are applied. (Forgive my ignorance - I'm learning, that's why I'm here - but the "doohicky" that connects the front and rear diffs to engage 4wd is sitting in the back of the truck and needs to be bolted up. Perhaps the lack of this is causing the vibration?)
  6. A/C doesn't work. (No, I haven't checked the heater - it's summer still in San Diego. From what I can gather, the vacuum line that selects what option you want isn't hooked up and I may need a recharge - not a huge deal at the moment but I would like AC and heat eventually)

That's all I can think of for now. Like I said, I'm doing my best to search CF and the using the power of The Google. Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully I'll be posting some positive results soon!

Also I just wanted to give a HUGE thanks to Cruiser54. This guy is a wealth of knowledge for Renix era rigs and just as soon as I have the wherewithal to decrypt what the hell he's talking about, I'll be able to get this ruggedly handsome beauty in great condition!

Old 10-14-2015, 12:44 PM

Bump. Am I on the right track?
Old 10-14-2015, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Well, he's pretty sensitive and you might have hurt his feelings.

I might be able to help decipher some....

In your shoes I might just go ahead and do the valve cover mod'n change the gasket, then take a close look at the oil filter adapter, (from underneath), likely change the O rings there, THEN clean it good and check for leaks. There is a fair chance the rear main seal is OK.

Cruiser's tips and more is under the link in my sig. btw....

OIL FILTER ADAPTER O RINGS http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-rep...filter-adapter And a link with torx.. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/oi...o-ring-127359/
Old 10-14-2015, 04:55 PM
CF Veteran

OH! HaHa...I wouldn't try to run it much until a transfer case get's installed! If your 4wd shiftier has "part time" and "full time" options its a 242. If the shiftier just has 4 High and 4 low it's a 231. Being it's in the back I'd suggest having it checked...
Old 10-14-2015, 05:10 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'll check that as soon as I can.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Let us know how its going, sounds like you have a handful there! How about pics? What kind of shape is it in? I might do a wet/dry compression test to get a handle on the condition of the engine before putting too much into it. One of mine is strong and fine at 280K, but still 230 is allot...
Old 10-14-2015, 06:10 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

See tip 25 for the oil in the air cleaner issue.