Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Black projector headlight installation difficulty.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Black projector headlight installation difficulty.

Hey guys, question....I'm thinking of installing some pretty sweet black projector headlights, but there is VERY little information about installation online. The auction says "professional installation highly recommended" so I'm not sure if I should take them on. I've found quite a bit of information on the Halo-style headlights, but these look as if they are regular headlights only with a different housing. What do you guys know about them and are they difficult to install on an XJ? Take a look at the link I've posted below to see the ones I'm talking about. I think they would look pretty badass on my black XJ. Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

These install like any other 7x6 light on the XJ.

Not sure what others think about these "projector" lights, but my history using them lasted 1 week. They are not true projector lights and not worth the extra money over the standard H4 conversion lenses.

If you still want them, buy them as there are no issues installing them.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Year: 2000 sport
Engine: 4.0

just a heads up on these, these are NOT bright and made for driving. I have a set i removed because of the poor lighting. They deff look cool but are not for night driving at all .
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by MagicMack
Hey guys, question....I'm thinking of installing some pretty sweet black projector headlights, but there is VERY little information about installation online. The auction says "professional installation highly recommended" so I'm not sure if I should take them on. I've found quite a bit of information on the Halo-style headlights, but these look as if they are regular headlights only with a different housing. What do you guys know about them and are they difficult to install on an XJ? Take a look at the link I've posted below to see the ones I'm talking about. I think they would look pretty badass on my black XJ. Thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Don't have too much info on these lights, but they are very easy to install. First you need to remove the head light bezel using a phillips head screwdriver. There are two screws on the top and bottom corners. Then you will see a silver retaining ring around the outside of the current headlight. Remove the four screws on the retainer and save to the side. Remove the wiring harness from the rear of the sealed beam. Then you're going to need a set of H4 bulbs. Place the bulbs in the housing locking then into place in the housing. Connect the wiring harness to the H4 bulb. Use the same retaining ring to attach the headlight to the assembly. Then reattach the headlight bezel and test. Repeat the same for the other side.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BLK XJ
just a heads up on these, these are NOT bright and made for driving. I have a set i removed because of the poor lighting. They deff look cool but are not for night driving at all .
x2

I still have the black projectors sitting in my garage, they look cool but were terrible at night. If you really want them I would be glad to send you the ones is my garage if you want to pay the shipping costs.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Choo_31
x2

I still have the black projectors sitting in my garage, they look cool but were terrible at night. If you really want them I would be glad to send you the ones is my garage if you want to pay the shipping costs.
x3 at night had to be 2 feet away from a wall to see the light coming out of them. there for show and not for driving.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

x4

I would recommend Sylvania Silver Stars, I have nothing but great experiences plus the 1 year warranty is great.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Year: 2001

That is really great information, thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I might take you up on the offer of the free lights + shipping. I wonder if I could install some sort of different bulb in the "projector" that would give me decent night lighting. There are a few suggestions above that might work with them.

Last edited by MagicMack; 08-17-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Just needed to add more information.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MagicMack
That is really great information, thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I might take you up on the offer of the free lights + shipping. I wonder if I could install some sort of different bulb in the "projector" that would give me decent night lighting. There are a few suggestions above that might work with them.
I had HID's in those headlights and they still were not adequate enough for nighttime driving for me.

Let me know if you want the lights. If not, I had someone else PM me about wanting them if you pass on them.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Diesel
x4

I would recommend Sylvania Silver Stars, I have nothing but great experiences plus the 1 year warranty is great.
X2 on the silver stars or you can get the "IPF Fatboy II Super Clear" ...Tj
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_2200.htm
Old 08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

i also had hids in my black ones and it still wasnt enough light, but for show...they look sweet, but wouldnt recommend for daily driving, i had to put my crystal cut ones back in