Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

In a bind with lift/tires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default In a bind with lift/tires.

With winter around the corner, I've been needing to get rid of my bald 225/75/15 goodyears and replace them with something that can get me through the winter.

Luckily, I have a kind friend who has offered to give me their Wrangler Duratracs that they recently replaced. I didn't have enough cash for new tires (Or even used ones... I just got layed off from my place of work).

The dilemma is, the tires are 31/10.5, and my Cherokee is bone stock. Since I've been wanting to lift it forever, I'm going to try and go for it. I have the use of a shop, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I've already done a fair bit of cutting to the fenders, but definitely not enough to throw 31's on stock.

My question is, what is the absolute most inexpensive way I can boost my XJ up enough to throw those tires under it? I take her off road quite a bit, so I'm looking for a functional, capable lift (Not just Shackles, blocks, etc.)

Sorry if that was a bit longwinded, and thanks for any help.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

well, in my limited experience with lifts, depending on how much you have cut out of the fenders you should be able to get away with 2" putting a shackle lift in the rear and a block lift in the front. To prevent rubbing you can throw in wheel spacers(not sure if this will be ok on 10.5 wides though). With only 2" you don't have to change the shocks or any of the driveline angles/components.

Not sure if spacers are enough to prevent the 10.5 from rubbing in corners, but there is an article in this months JP where they got 33x12.50R15s on a 2" lift with some Iceland Offroad fender flares. They solved them grabbing the flares by putting in longer bumpstops, so it is possible with 33s which makes me think 31's would be ok.

As I said I don't have much experience with lifts, but this will at least get you started thinking. And I'm sure someone will be along soon enough to amend/correct some of my thinking...

Good luck! I hope it works for you I have Duratracs and I love them.

I have a 2" lift in mine with no cutting and I can almost get 31s on there. They fit, but they do rub when I turn, and the fronts hit the wheel well on bumps(probably because it's not a true 2" as I used the Daystar 1 3/4" blocks, I have brand new medium duty springs and new shocks in the rear so they don't hit)

Edit: I forgot to add but I believe V8 Grand Cherokee front coils will give you 2" as well.

Last edited by Anthonyb; 09-19-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM

the shackles and spacers are your cheapest route and will be great for you to add say a 3 inch later to go to 5 when you want to upsize. look at Rough country kits on ebay i think i originally got that kit for $85 shiped. With stock wheels and 30x9.50 i rubbed my lower control arms at full turn and some flex so you will probably rub. But on the street it should be pretty rare. Good luck and hopefully someone with this exact setup will chime in.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

find a 3 inch lift used imo would be the best way to go. i got my old 3 inch lift from a guy for 190 bucks
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

I am in the process of doing a dirt-cheap lift...I've been collecting parts & pieces for a while now. A lot depends on the condition of your rear leaf springs. If they are anywhere near flat or reverse curved, shackles or blocks will NOT be the way to go. Get some cheap S-10 or Durango leaf springs on craigslist or from a junkyard, friend, or whatever... and make a BASTARD PACK (use search function here on CF), there is a LOT of info about them. Get a pair of ZJ (Grand Cherokee) V8 front coil springs, and/or some 2" coil spring spacers. You will need to relocate your front brake lines on the fenderwell to allow for the lift (free) , get longer rear brake lines *(or get a relocation mount from Howler). You will probably also need to relocate your track bar mounting point or get an adjustable trackbar. 2" lift is cheap. 3" gets more expensive. Earlier XJ's tend to be more forgiving than newer ones regarding Death Wobble. That's the Readers' Digest short version..Do a search, & poke around the threads here for a couple of hours, bookmark some websites and it'll make a lot more sense.
Have fun, and good luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

get some f150 coils, s-10 bastard pack and some ebay shocks (guy named scratch and dent) or something like that.

will work just fine with stock steering and control arms, for now.

you're gonna end up swapping everything later anyways.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Laid off = more time to go to the bone yard and check for old s-10's.

I agree with the bastard pack and some old grand-cherokee front springs. I'm not sure what years match up nthough, so do some searching online for compatabiliyies. Should be able to get out for $50 or so.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

You say you've already trim'd your fenders so...
Put the 31's on.
Buy a couple hockey pucks and a tube of shoe goo from the sports store to use as bump stops, a couple of longer bolts from Ace to adjust your steering stops.
Done.
If you spend more than $20 doing this you've been robbed!