Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Best way to repair this exhaust issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 05:11 PM
.:.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Best way to repair this exhaust issue?

When I was changing my O2 sensors yesterday I noticed that the exhaust right below where it connects to the header is dented pretty bad. It is dented also on the opposite side of the one pictured. Seems like that would affect flow and likely performance, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, my question is what do you folks think is the best way to go about repairing this?

I need to get a bung welded in for a Wideband AFR gauge in the next couple days right around in that area so I think it's something I should probably take care of.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Those are there from the factory. Best fix is jave a shop custom make you a new pipe. Mandrel bent is best for flow if you know of a shop in your area that bends pipe. Don't forget to have them weld in a flex pipe too, helps keep the exhaust manifold from cracking.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by XjJunky
Those are there from the factory. Best fix is jave a shop custom make you a new pipe. Mandrel bent is best for flow if you know of a shop in your area that bends pipe. Don't forget to have them weld in a flex pipe too, helps keep the exhaust manifold from cracking.
Why would that be there from the factory?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

My understanding is Chrysler did it to preheat the catalytic converter and make it more efficient, leading to a better emission standards rating.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
My understanding is Chrysler did it to preheat the catalytic converter and make it more efficient, leading to a better emission standards rating.
Exactly
Old 07-13-2019, 01:57 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

Guys, just off the cuff, I'm an old gearhead and all for maintaining Federal standards, but deep down I really don't give a "FF" what comes out the tailpipe as long as it doesn't attract too much attention. How about you?
Old 07-13-2019, 06:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

there was a video years ago about how these dents affect the flow. short story is, it doesn't.
they took a set of headers and smashed them in almost flat, and it didn't change the numbers very much at all.

i used to have a 67 dart with a built 340 with headers. i smashed those things off every speed bump. dented them in pretty good. i was always worried it would affect the flow, until i watched that video many years later.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

^^^^^^^^^^^
I bought a '69 Dart (GSS) from Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago (Mr. Norm) with the 440ci engine.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:18 AM

Very interesting.

Originally Posted by dave1123
Guys, just off the cuff, I'm an old gearhead and all for maintaining Federal standards, but deep down I really don't give a "FF" what comes out the tailpipe as long as it doesn't attract too much attention. How about you?
Can this thread be locked for talking about this? I saw the updated rules, but the link to what the rules actually say did not seem to work.

Originally Posted by caged
there was a video years ago about how these dents affect the flow. short story is, it doesn't.
they took a set of headers and smashed them in almost flat, and it didn't change the numbers very much at all.

i used to have a 67 dart with a built 340 with headers. i smashed those things off every speed bump. dented them in pretty good. i was always worried it would affect the flow, until i watched that video many years later.
Well if EZEARL is right and they did it from the factory to preheat the Cat then it definitely affects flow. Maybe I am wrong about that. Could you please explain to me how it is expected to preheat the Cat? Do you know where I can find that video? I really want to see it.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

I don't know what the negative effects if any would be if the dent was eliminated (maybe to the computer performance?) but the factories only option besides that dent was to install two more cats (pre-cats) such as is on the Calif equipped XJ's.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I don't know what the negative effects if any would be if the dent was eliminated (maybe to the computer performance?) but the factories only option besides that dent was to install two more cats (pre-cats) such as is on the Calif equipped XJ's.

Renix had dents also, as they all did.

I was told directly by a field engineer who worked on emissions certification for the original 4.0 that the
dents" were there to heat up the cats sooner.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Does not mess with your computer at all. Just makes for a free flow exhaust. Stock pipe is 2.25" if you jump to a 2.50" pipe about the only negitive is a small and i mean very small loss in low end torque. Not enough you will even notice unless you dino it
Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

I eliminated my dented downpipe when I added my supercharger setup. Out of boost performance stayed the same. My cat was gutted so it's an un needed option. I'm not sure how flow would be affected with the added exhaust volume from the SC.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins93
I eliminated my dented downpipe when I added my supercharger setup. Out of boost performance stayed the same. My cat was gutted so it's an un needed option. I'm not sure how flow would be affected with the added exhaust volume from the SC.
Yeah, based on these responses I think I am going to just leave it... for now. That money could be better spent on something else for the Jeep.

Last edited by .:.; 07-13-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Good call. You could always up grade later on as needed. I went to a 2 1/2" cat back system upgrade when my OEM muffler gave up the ghost.

Quick Reply: Best way to repair this exhaust issue?