Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Belt or Pulley Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Belt or Pulley Squeek

Hi All,

So I just changed my harmonic balancer and now I seem to be getting some kind of squeek from either a pulley or the belt. When I first started the engine it didn't make a sound, but after running it about 15 min it magically appeared. It also get faster as I accelerate. I wasn't sure if I did something wrong with the balancer?
Old 01-07-2015, 12:18 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Was it a used part? It may have a little nick in it creating a squeak. Looks ng at the ribs on the belt should give u a good clue. A little lube always quiets up the belt but replacing the belt is ideal. Make sure the balancer is fully seated as well
Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 PM

The balancer was a new part and I replaced the belt as well. I thought I had seated the balancer, but I can double check it.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Year: 1999

A great way to find out where a squeak or noise is coming from is to get about a 3foot piece of water hose and put one end of it up to your ear and use the other end to probe and pin point where the noise is coming from.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I have this "canned" easy enough to try/rule out. >>

Soaping Belt

Tight, tighter, tightest the darn new belt would still chirp.

Finally in desperation I went out there with a bottle of Dawn dish soap and the garden hose. Idling, I got it wet, then squirt soap on both sides, rinsed some, and soaped a little more. Let it idle a minute all soapy. To end, I ran the hose slow on it running for a couple minutes. Bingo! That solved it. There was some sort of coating on the new belt? Idk.

I normally run my belt as loose as I can, and still have the alternator not slip with the blower on high, and lights on brights. Puts less strain on all the other bearings. Radi pointed out a cool tip. After it might have been slipping, (voltage has been low), see if the Alt. pulley is hot. I want to go back and loosen it a tad now, since I got it so tight while it was chirping!

Here I mentioned the little alt pulley.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 01-07-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:42 PM

Year: 1994

^that post made me remember a time I had a belt too tight and it squeaked. Learned same goes for a belt too tight. General rule of thumb If you grab a long section of the belt and twist it, you shouldn't be able to turn it more than 45 degrees
Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 PM

I checked the balancer and all seems well with it. I did tighten the belt thinking the squeal was from looseness, and might have gotten it to tight. I will re-evaluate that in the morning.

I would love to wash the belt, but I am afraid to do so with the sub-freezing temps.

I sat in front of the grill and listened to the racket, the squeak/squeal is more centrally located which to me would suggest the water pump. But I also noticed that the mechanical clutch fan spins freely when the engine is off, didn't know if that could cause it. Just hoping not to change the water pump out in the cold, the balancer was bad enough...
Old 01-07-2015, 11:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Gotcchya' there. Just went through similar with torrential rain. F-ing insanely nice here now, almost put on shorts this AM!

A simple rule of physics, friction makes heat. (just rub your hands together and there's that). A bad bearing, or bushing, or a slipping belt, will also make heat.

Like said, listening with a tube and 1/4turn, .....In a nutshell, if something is bad there, there will be heat/noise. You should be able to find it.

Sometimes after the car wash or something... it'll squeal like a stuck pig till the pulleys grab, then dry out. You might be fine, maybe you just need run her for a bit....
Old 01-08-2015, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by SomeGuy138
A great way to find out where a squeak or noise is coming from is to get about a 3foot piece of water hose and put one end of it up to your ear and use the other end to probe and pin point where the noise is coming from.
Old school ...Just dont **** off the neighbor and hack his hose.