Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ball Joints. could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Ball Joints. could it be?

I had this problem on my truck and never had the money to get it fixed so for 5 years it stayed till I sold it. But I plan on keeping my jeep SO,
when I turn left or go over a big pot hole/speed bump there is this popping sound towards the left front. It only happens immediately after and then for a few days after playin up the creek. I believe it's my ball joints. Can I do the work myself to replace them? I am not afraid to get dirty and am a quick learner with common sense but am limited on tools.

also, about how much is this going to cost me cause I need new tires like last year! and which would you do first? I can't afford both at the same time and will be driving from North Idaho to Missouri next month.

thanks so much in advance! you guys are awesome.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0L

I had to replace my ball joints last year on both sides, figured if I was going to do one I might as well do both. But I had to use a press tool made for them to get them out. Not sure if anyone has any other methods, but that's how I had to do it. They can be a pain to get out without the right press.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 PM

oh, and where the heck are they at? I mean I know the general location but where exactly? I MIGHT be able to have a mechanic friend check it out but she really does not like men touching her and from my past experience with the quality work of my "mechanics" I'd just assume do the work myself if I can.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Their not that hard to do I replaced min about 6 months ago.. u can check them by taking the weight off the side that makes the noise and shake ur tire up and down.. if any play they're bad.. u can also stick a pry bar in the ball joint to see if there's any play.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4L I6

Get one tire off the ground and use a pry bar to shift it up and down. If the entire unit doesn't move as one, btw the ball joints are on the top and bottom of the knuckle, then the joints are bad. You will NEED a press! I just replaced mine. There are plenty of threads to figure out the process; google helps too haha. Good Luck!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Mine was making the same popping sound (sounded nasty) and it progressively got worse. With the jeep off, you could sit in the drivers seat and rock the steering wheel back and forth and you could hear it pop. So I had a friend rock the steering wheel while I was looking at all the steering components underneath. I traced it to the track bar where it bolts up to the frame on the left hand side of the frame. That ball joint was just loose. I tightened it up and lubed the entire frontend. I havent tested it yet as I am waiting for new tires. Im almost positive that was the problem though. We'll find out this week.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:58 PM

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f2...-joints-14096/

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ball...alljoint-1.htm

Last edited by Lyon; 07-05-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 AM

Could it possibly be something with my u-joint? I had it all checked out when I took it in to get my tire fixed and they told me my front end was tight. They checked everything they could think of. That's the only thing it could be I'm thinking and this was an idea for another issue I was having a month ago.

posted via iPhone4