Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad Things Happen To Me..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bad Things Happen To Me..

Was driving my XJ home yesterday when it started acting like it was out of gas. Quit right on the road. Started back up fine, drove a little farther and then the same thing. Done this several times before I got it home. Now it's in the driveway, will run some times for a few minutes before it starts to spit and sputter and it shuts down like it's starving for gas..The jeep has sat in a friends garage for the past year while I/we worked on the drive train parts to get it where I wanted it. Sucks because I was bringing it home on it's first voyage..
Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the fuel pump,fuel filter, fuel lines, check the pressure at the rail. Also it could be the CPS- crank position sensor. From what I understand they can cause the problems you described.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 AM

Year: 1987

Check your fuel pressure on the fuel rail like mentioned previously! Make sure you use a gauge, u wanna know what the pressure is not only if its getting fuel......once u get that far and if it is indeed low fuel pressure go to your fuel pump pop it out of there ( thank god for jeep engineers who put fuel pump access on the side of the tank) look at the little rubber hose about 2.5 inches long that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel pump housing and make sure its not been eaten away from the gas, make sure the clamps are tight on both ends u can even take the pump to a bucket of water use some jumper wires and pump water thru the pump and make sure its pumping properly, just make sure u clean the water out before reinstalling.... iv seen that little rubber hose go bad on about 15 different cars/trucks including my XJ...hope this helps...
Old 08-08-2010, 08:32 AM

It looks like the fuel pump is on top of the tank on mine. Is this correct? Looks like I will have to drop the fuel tank to remove the pump.. The XJ is turning over this morning, but will not run and when I cut the key on, I don't hear the pump fire up like I have before. Thanks for the help, it's a nice day here in Ol' Va. I think I'll take the VTX out and clear my head..
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

yes 97+ xjs have the fuel pumps on top of the tank... i know this cause i have a 99 which i needed to drop the tank about... oh 5ish times its easy just order new straps i had to grind my old ones off... and i also work in a scrap yard
Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

You say it sat a year? With gas in it? Probably just has some really bad gas in it, you might be able to put some 'gas line antifreeze' in to disperse the water somewhat, and then put some good gas in it. That might work, although it'll probably run like crap.

Also, are you sure it has gas in it? My fuel sender went bad and reported half a tank even though I was bone dry. Same basic issue you described.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 AM

It's full of gas. My gauge doesn't work so that was the first thing I did. In fact I filled it up before I started the drive train tare down. I stuck the ol' gas can nozzle in yesterday and gas ran out within seconds. I checked power to relay,fuse and to the pump plug and all have power, so the pump has taken a dump. Good thing it did it now and not on the trail somewhere..
Old 08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Originally Posted by PUNISHER
It's full of gas. My gauge doesn't work so that was the first thing I did. In fact I filled it up before I started the drive train tare down. I stuck the ol' gas can nozzle in yesterday and gas ran out within seconds. I checked power to relay,fuse and to the pump plug and all have power, so the pump has taken a dump. Good thing it did it now and not on the trail somewhere..
Yep baaaaadddddddd gas if your gas set for a year its not gas any more.Common sense