Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bad starter?

Ok, new here so hello first and foremost.

I have been searching and have found problems similar to mine but nothing giving me a solution.

Over the last few months, my 1999 XJ has been having a harder and harder time starting. Started off with taking a few extra cranks to turn over, then a few extra turns of the key, until one day...nothing. No clicks, no nothing. I replaced the battery with no results so I assumed it had to be my starter. I pulled my starter out which appears to be the original (about 265000 miles behind it) and took it to the auto parts store for a bench test and was told it was just fine. Brought it back home and reinstalled it with no changes. Had a buddy of mine bring over a voltmeter and the starters readings were constantly fluctuating all over the place. I decided to just go ahead and buy a new (reman) duralast starter and put it in. With the first couple of turns of the key, there were clicks with no turnover, about the 3rd turn the starter turned the motor over and it ran like a champ. Once the keys were turned off and removed from the ignition, the starter motor continues to run very fast without engaging the flywheel and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. Now every time I reconnect the battery, the starter just starts spinning without engaging the flywheel and putting in the key and turning doesn't start the motor any more. As a side note, this will all still happen when all of the starter/ign fuses and relays are removed.

Any suggestions for me? Did I manage to get another bad starter?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like you have some kind of ignition switch problem. If your starter is getting 12 volts with the ignition off that's the problem.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM

interesting. I haven't had any problems with my ignition switch to my knowledge, would it just start all of the sudden after I install a new starter?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:49 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Did you put to 2 bolts back in right? If you put the long one in the wrong hole it can cause this.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you install the starter wires on the correct terminals?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 PM

so as it turns out the replacement starter I bought (duralast) was no good, had a short in it. Went and got yet another one from NAPA and it started right up with no problems.