Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noobish Alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Noobish Alignment question

Ok guys, I've had a slight issue for a while now. I have a 2000 XJ Sport with about 162k miles on it. I got new tires not too long ago and they've been feathering like crazy on the outside of the tires on the front. I've rotated the tires and gotten it aligned by a shop. Not sure if the alignment is still off or what. I had death wobble at one point but the track bar solved that.

Now, I nailed some train tracks accidentally a while ago and thats what caused my DW. I possible dented two rims, I replaced one that just wouldn't balance but the other wasn't too bad. I have a slight shake at 50-55mph and I think its cause by the feathering/possibly the alignment. Not 100% sure where to start.

Everything on the front end looks tight, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm going to get my friends old rims/tires and I wanna solve this before I get those tires and not ruin them.So do you guys think the alignment wasn't done properly? Any other ideas?

Sorry for the long winded story. lol

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Daven75
Now, I nailed some train tracks accidentally a while ago and thats what caused my DW.
How hard, did it shift the axle? Measure F-R center hub to center hub D & P side see if the measurement is the same.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
How hard, did it shift the axle? Measure F-R center hub to center hub D & P side see if the measurement is the same.
Everything seems to fit fine. F-R? Front to rear? D &P?

I'm pretty **** about things measuring up to be exact and it all seems to be sitting right. Really the feathering is my main concern. No DW anymore luckily but the vibration I HONESTLY think is just from a slightly bent rim. Which I'm getting my friends old ones so I'm hoping that will solve that issue.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had bad feathering on the inner part of the drivers side front tire. Got so bad it would make an awful humming while driving. Got it aligned at a shop and they said my camber was off, which can only be corrected by new ball joints on our solid axels. Sounds like you've got a positive camber.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Muaddib420
I had bad feathering on the inner part of the drivers side front tire. Got so bad it would make an awful humming while driving. Got it aligned at a shop and they said my camber was off, which can only be corrected by new ball joints on our solid axels. Sounds like you've got a positive camber.
Wouldn't camber cause just more outside tire wear than feathering