Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bad EGR

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bad EGR

89 4.0. I have a bad EGR. I'm thinking "just get rid of the **** thing".

Yes or No? The answer preferably needs to be from someone in the "know".

Don't say "search" cause I've already done all that & it's mostly opinions. We all know about opinions.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

well lol if you or anyone else suggests an illegal action you'll get an internet wrist-slapping. ask me how I know.

i'm sure whatever is wrong is fairly inexpensive to repair. just fix it.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by s346k
well lol if you or anyone else suggests an illegal action you'll get an internet wrist-slapping. ask me how I know.

i'm sure whatever is wrong is fairly inexpensive to repair. just fix it.
lol what's illegal about running without an EGR? It's illegal to drink & drive, cheat on taxes, farm animals in the city limits & the list goes on.......
In my neck of the woods a capped EGR is the least of our concerns.....
It's going bye bye

I was asking in reference to the engine concerns. Not the frickin law

Last edited by randall L; 04-07-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

removal of any emissions control equipment is illegal, genius.

however, i'm sure it won't hurt anything regarding your engine. it has been done before. good luck getting any of these nancies to talk about it.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:20 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by s346k
removal of any emissions control equipment is illegal, genius.

however, i'm sure it won't hurt anything regarding your engine. it has been done before. good luck getting any of these nancies to talk about it.
Correct. Discussion of emissions equipment removal/disablement is not allowed on this forum, along with many other forums.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by randall L

I was asking in reference to the engine concerns. Not the frickin law
Law stands around here. Dont like it? Log out button is by your user name. Click it and go ask over on pirate.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

89 4.0. I have a bad EGR. I'm thinking "just get rid of the **** thing".

Yes or No? The answer preferably needs to be from someone in the "know".

Don't say "search" cause I've already done all that & it's mostly opinions. We all know about opinions.
Under asinine Federal regs, you can't get rid of it. Gotta repair it.

(I say "asinine," because with our low-compression engines I have yet to see data proving its utility, but I've seen data showing that it's not needed.)

The valve is likely OEMR only, check with Morris 4x4 Center, TeamCherokee, or possibly RockAuto. Solenoid? Ditto. If the gasket has burned through, you can replace that by cutting a new one out of thick high-temp (graphite) gasket material and coating both sides with RTV copper before installation.

And they're correct - while an NF EGR won't harm our engines, discussion of removal is streng verboten - the Feds can take a dim view of it, if brought to their attention (yes, even if you're not subject to local Air Police, you're still stuck with the USEPA. And their fines are nasty! "Constructive intent" also applies in cases like this - if other users didn't try to shut down the idea, the board could be held as an accessory, if you get checked and you've taken the damned thing off. Stupid, I know, but we're stuck with it...)
Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replies & I understand completely & intend to adhere to the forum rules.

The intent was not to circumvent emission standards per say. The intent was to learn about the positive vs negative effects of the ability or disability of a properly or malfunctioning EGR system on a 25 year old vehicle that will be operated in an OFF ROAD situation ONLY......... by a 16 year old.

Maybe those drones hovering above the racetrack on Friday & Saturday nights won't catch him with the hood raised.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Thanks for the replies & I understand completely & intend to adhere to the forum rules.

The intent was not to circumvent emission standards per say. The intent was to learn about the positive vs negative effects of the ability or disability of a properly or malfunctioning EGR system on a 25 year old vehicle that will be operated in an OFF ROAD situation ONLY......... by a 16 year old.

Maybe those drones hovering above the racetrack on Friday & Saturday nights won't catch him with the hood raised.
The theory behind the EGR is to reduce NOx emissions by mildly diluting the fuel/air mix, thus reducing the flash temperature.

I find this specious - since the exhaust gas is typically well over 1,000*F (HEGO sensors don't become valid until the sensor element reaches 700*C - the heater element brings it up to temperature rapidly, but this temperature is maintained by the exhaust gas temperature. The catalytic converter is somewhat similar, I think the temperature is lower, but it's still heated by exhaust gases.)

I know that the flash temperatures in the cylinder run upwards of 2,500*F - but cooling the flash temps with 1,600*F exhaust gas makes no sense whatever.

I can think of 3-4 ways to solve the NOx problem - without contaminating the intake stream with crud.

And, I can attest that our 6-242s will run just fine without the thing - which I found out when my 87 had a failed EGR (and replacing the valve actually pushed emissions UP in general, rather than reducing them. HC and CO spiked, with no real net change in measured NOx. This per State of California-approved test equipment...)

I can think of a number of ways to reduce harmful emissions from the engine, without saddling it with "compromise" devices (that all work against each other,) without adulterating our fuel with contaminants, and without reducing power output. It's all about part selection, careful building, and proper tuning.