Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AX-15 problems or driver error?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default AX-15 problems or driver error?

For the past month now my transmission has been acting up, When It is cold and the oil is still viscous I can shift through every gear like silk and the clutch never gave me a problem. Now when it's warm the transmission shifts hard and the clutch (I'm thinking slave cylinder?) creaks like a rocking chair. If you roll the window down you can easily hear it outside the jeep. But the real problem that I have been noticing lately is that it acts like I'm jerking the clutch with each shift even though I am gentile with it. I shift at around 2100 RPM for normal driving 2900-3200 if I need to really get going. (I drive it like a grandpa I know) All of these problems didnt exist up until about a month and a half ago, I had put Royal Purple 10W-40 in the transmission when I did the axle swap and it smoothed out the shifting and how the transmission caught reverse as well as the creaking from the clutch. It had all went away up until about a month and a half ago, Also about 2 months ago my friend snapped my drive shaft after jerking my clutch and holding the brake on a hill (don't teach people to drive stick in you're own Jeep!) Do you think that couldve had any effect on it? I seriously need some help with this guys, I'm leaving for college in less then two months and need to sort everything out before I leave. Thanks in advance...
Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds more like a clutch issue than a transmission problem. Could be the slave cylinder hanging up. I think you may have the slave cylinder throw out bearing combo and they can be problematic.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Sounds more like a clutch issue than a transmission problem. Could be the slave cylinder hanging up. I think you may have the slave cylinder throw out bearing combo and they can be problematic.
Well I hope the clutch isnt shot or anything, I was told by the PO that it only had 20,000 miles on it. It grabs and feels great but its still having those problems. Would you happen to know if the 98 have external Slave cylinder's or internal ones? Maybe I can check to see if it was ever changed with the clutch if its external, By the way someone did work on the thing I wouldn't be surprised if It wasn't.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If you see a hydraulic cylinder on the side of the bellhousing, then have the much desired external slave. If there is a hose the goes into the bellhousing, well, you have the internal slave throw out bearing combo, sorry. The transmission has to come out to replace it.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bustedback
If you see a hydraulic cylinder on the side of the bellhousing, then have the much desired external slave. If there is a hose the goes into the bellhousing, well, you have the internal slave throw out bearing combo, sorry. The transmission has to come out to replace it.
Alright, I'll take a look in the morning. Just out of curiosity what does it take to replace a slave cylinder and throw out bearing if its external? Just unbolt and re bolt another slave in? I dont know much about transmissions but I know enough to know how it works for the most part. Just not the parts including the slave or clutch master cylinder.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by XxXJ99xX
Alright, I'll take a look in the morning. Just out of curiosity what does it take to replace a slave cylinder and throw out bearing if its external? Just unbolt and re bolt another slave in? I dont know much about transmissions but I know enough to know how it works for the most part. Just not the parts including the slave or clutch master cylinder.
if its external, just swap it out and bleed it. same concept as swapping out a brake rotor, its just a hydraulic piston.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

About to do this to my 96 XJ. I did my clutch 15k miles ago and my problems came on very suddenly. Fortunately, I have the external slave and they are held on by two bolts. I am not sure about the master, but I'm sure it is easy enough. The "hardest part" about this job is bleeding the hydraulic system. Pretty quick fix, my man. Best of luck.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by porphyry
About to do this to my 96 XJ. I did my clutch 15k miles ago and my problems came on very suddenly. Fortunately, I have the external slave and they are held on by two bolts. I am not sure about the master, but I'm sure it is easy enough. The "hardest part" about this job is bleeding the hydraulic system. Pretty quick fix, my man. Best of luck.
Thanks, and I just found the time to get on here and update this, working full time dosent really help with time to spend on the jeep lol. I also have the External Slave Cylinder and was wondering how you bled one? I've bled brakes before if its anything like that. Also wondering where you bleed it from? The line that goes to the slave cylinder?