Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 Speedo gear/pinion gear problem.. Need Help!!

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt
Default AW4 Speedo gear/pinion gear problem.. Need Help!!

I have a 98 cherokee lim. 4.0 I6.. When i first got the jeep the tranny died on me after driving about a mile or so.. took it to a tranny shop and they told me i needed a new one. Well as for that, was a rip off. Especially here in miami, fl these people are always trying to scam.

Anyways, I traced the problem to a clogged trans filter.. it seemed to have what looked like metal shavings smaller than a grain of sand.. It was all bunch up in the filter with orange/reddish looking plastic.. After flushing the tranny and installing new filter.. everything was working fine.. Here and there it would not shift properly but figured that would be my TPS. Getting that today to solve that problem, also will be adjusting kick down cable.

My main concern is the speedo gear/pinion gear that determines the vehicle speed. when i pulled it out it was chewed down flat, that was the plastic shavings in my filter.. Well i purchased a new one 36 tooth long shaft.. Stock wheels and tires.. and installed.. counted and clocked gear and tightened everything up. I took it for a drive no more than a 1/4 mile and went to check that gear and again it has been chewed down..

I started another thread a while back trying to solve this problem but no one seemed to have an answer. So im here again, sucks driving with out knowing your speed and going by revs i just have the time to calculate in my head. So i NEED your guys help to solve this dilemma..

If more info is need let me know and ill provide you with wat i can..
Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM

bump
Attached Images   

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 10-04-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

there is a little blue piece that rides on your shaft held in by some snap rings:

Name:  np231sye.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  85.2 KB

and i suspect either this piece has broken (cause it is only plastic) or the snap ring came off some how or broke and it is no longer in place. now that it is gone it is riding on just shaft splines and is tearing it up real fast. if it is 2wd then you have to take off the tail housing to get to it, if it is 4x4 then you need to take off your transfercase tail housing and crack the case open to get to it. good luck
Old 10-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Default AW4 Speedo gear problem.. Non tech just need advice of wat can cause this problem..

I have a 98 cherokee lim. 4.0 I6.. When i first got the jeep the tranny died on me after driving about a mile or so.. took it to a tranny shop and they told me i needed a new one. Well as for that, was a rip off. Especially here in miami, fl these people are always trying to scam.

Anyways, I traced the problem to a clogged trans filter.. it seemed to have what looked like metal shavings smaller than a grain of sand.. It was all bunch up in the filter with orange/reddish looking plastic.. After flushing the tranny and installing new filter.. everything was working fine.. Here and there it would not shift properly but figured that would be my TPS. Getting that today to solve that problem, also will be adjusting kick down cable.

My main concern is the speedo gear/pinion gear that determines the vehicle speed. when i pulled it out it was chewed down flat, that was the plastic shavings in my filter.. Well i purchased a new one 36 tooth SHORT shaft.. Stock wheels and tires.. and installed.. counted and clocked gear and tightened everything up. I took it for a drive no more than a 1/4 mile and went to check that gear and again it has been chewed down..

I started another thread a while back trying to solve this problem but no one seemed to have an answer. So im here again, sucks driving with out knowing your speed and going by revs i just have the time to calculate in my head. So i NEED your guys help to solve this dilemma..

If more info is need let me know and ill provide you with wat i can..
Attached Images   

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 10-05-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
there is a little blue piece that rides on your shaft held in by some snap rings:

Attachment 26807

and i suspect either this piece has broken (cause it is only plastic) or the snap ring came off some how or broke and it is no longer in place. now that it is gone it is riding on just shaft splines and is tearing it up real fast. if it is 2wd then you have to take off the tail housing to get to it, if it is 4x4 then you need to take off your transfercase tail housing and crack the case open to get to it. good luck
ok, when i looked inside the housing all seemed fine the blue part ur referring to looked in good shape and was lined up with the adapter housing.. The snap rings your reffering to, where would those be located on the blue part?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Is your Jeep 2WD?

That would be the only way the speedo gear shavings could get into a trans filter as the 4WD versions have the speedo gear in transfercase.

Your probably aware of this.. but lets cover it anyway..

There is a number range on the side of the speedo gear housing, you match this with the tooth count on gear. This should correspond with the raised dimple on the outside of the hole this assembly drops down into. Now, when you drop this housing down you can turn it. If turned too far it can ride to hard on the trans/trasnfer output shaft and chew it up. Seen this happen a few times.

When you drop it in.. rotate it back around so the retaining fork/nut assembly sits in it's intended position. The fork needs to sit in the grooves on housing.. and not above it or the meshing will be improper and cause an issue like your experiencing.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:35 AM

oh and dude i love the body swap u did came out great.. and i know what you mean with the building managers and residents complaining about noise.. I get the same thing.. lol
Old 10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Merged your two threads.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Is your Jeep 2WD?

That would be the only way the speedo gear shavings could get into a trans filter as the 4WD versions have the speedo gear in transfercase.

Your probably aware of this.. but lets cover it anyway..

There is a number range on the side of the speedo gear housing, you match this with the tooth count on gear. This should correspond with the raised dimple on the outside of the hole this assembly drops down into. Now, when you drop this housing down you can turn it. If turned too far it can ride to hard on the trans/trasnfer output shaft and chew it up. Seen this happen a few times.

When you drop it in.. rotate it back around so the retaining fork/nut assembly sits in it's intended position. The fork needs to sit in the grooves on housing.. and not above it or the meshing will be improper and cause an issue like your experiencing.
Yes its a 2WD.. Yea i counted and clocked cuz that wat ruined the first one i did, and then when it happened again after doing exactly as you stated i was stumped.. when placed in its not exactly lined up correctly so it needed to be rotated back a lil so the groves can line up with the fork.. Did so..

Now in the tech section one guy mentioned the blue peice thats inside the tranny could be bad broken or loose.. I inspected that part when the gear adpater housing was off and looked in pretty good shape.. no cuts or marks indicating failure.. but i didnt notice the ring clips that hold it in place so today when im off work ima take a look at those and also take some pictures to see if anybody sees something i dont.

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 10-04-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Merged your two threads.
ok took time on tech for someone to respond so i through it in chat to c wat i can get.. but thanks
Old 10-04-2010, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

When yo rotate the housing to align the forks in the grooves.. try the opposite direction. It may be meshing to hard on the shaft.

Do this and see if the speedo works.

Does the speedo gear click and lock into the housing well? Could it be falling out and riding inproperly?

Also, from the pics it looks as though the speedo gear may be too deep.. as it's eating away at the top. I'm wondering if you actually need a short shaft speedo gear vs the long.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:00 PM

i thought the same when it came to short shaft but when i place it in the tranny it doesnt feel like im forcing it in.. or that its really hitting the shaft inside..

when i put the shaft into the adapter it did click in but didnt seem to lock in place.. it did have a lil play maybe 1/8inch play. what i might do this time is just get a new adapter and shaft as see what happens, these gears are expensive and i dont want to go through to many cuz i have to change the filter and flush the tranny every time this happens..
Old 10-04-2010, 12:08 PM

Im sorry guys but i put in wrong information.. my 98 requires the short shaft, which i previously purchased. i dont think it needs the long shaft cuz that would put it on the other side of the gear inside the tranny.. SORRY again now im goin to get a new one and go step by step very slowly and see what i end up with.

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 10-04-2010 at 02:33 PM.