Jeep Builds Make your own jeep build thread here, discuss and view jeeps here. All Jeep models are welcome here.

Pathfinder74s XJ Build

Old 09-20-2015, 12:40 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Pathfinder74s XJ Build

Hope this is in the right place.

Ok start off with specs as purchased: (per factory build sheet)

2000 XJ Sport
4.0L Power Tech Engine
AW4 Transmission
NP231 TC
Dana 30 Front
Chrysler 8.25 Rear
3.55 Gears

add ons from PO:
1 Coil Spacers
2 Lift Helper Springs Rear
31 tires (tires need to be replaced, over 100k on them)

It was purchased at a super good price with an oil pressure issue, which after doing a little research, is a common issue with these.

I have a new oil pump, new napa oil pressure sending unit, and wix filter ready to go in when I get a chance to do the work.

Next on the to do list will be getting coil springs to lift the front with the current spacers, a bastard pack for the rear, and some 15x8 rims for the 32x11.5x15 courser mxt tires i have on my Pathfinder currently. Looking for a 2.5 - 3 inch lift max. Gonna remove the fender flares and bumper ends as well. I have some wheels that I can get very reasonably that I really like and think would look great on the XJ but they are 6x5.5 bolt pattern and 15x10 I think

Anyway here are a couple pics that i have right now:

I'll post more later

Old 09-20-2015, 01:44 AM
Banned

Year: 1992

Looks nice. Keep an eye on that head. The 00 and 01 had the 0331 heads that were prone to cracking
Old 09-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee View Post
Looks nice. Keep an eye on that head. The 00 and 01 had the 0331 heads that were prone to cracking
I'll keep that in mind. The PO said the oil looked fine. No water in oil, no water loss, no over heating.

I'd like to add hood vents soon as well just to be proactive on heat issues.

Been doing a lot of research on here since I got the thing lol.

Last edited by Pathfinder74; 09-20-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Default More Pics

Here are a few pics:

Couple additions the PO made to the dash. I'm assuming a cell phone holder (at least that's what i'll use it for) and a SiriusXM dock. Antenna is broke off so yeah.

The "safe" behind the drivers seat. Need to get a lock for it sometime.

Also vacuumed it out a bit this afternoon (after I took the pics lol). Lots of dog hair and grass lol. Need to start cleaning up the dash and stuff now. I might have a chance to get out tomorrow and work on getting the oil pump installed.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 PM

Default Oil Pump and Pan Installed

Finally got the oil pump and pan back on. Cleaned up everything, put the pump on, and with a little elbow grease the pan went back in.

Also changed the oil pressure sending unit.

Now all I have left to do is put the starter back on, and connect the air filter, shocks, exhaust, and driveshaft. Then I can put oil in and prime the pump.

Gotta do a little looking into priming the oil pump tho with no distributor. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to do.

Once that is done, I can see if it will hold oil pressure once it gets warmed up. Praying that it does. Really don't want to get into replacing cam bearings.

I should be able to get out Wednesday and get most everything left done.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:50 PM

Best way to prime that pump is to pack it with petroleum jelly, but too late now that the pan is back on... And let me know how it goes. I replaced my pump and still have low pressure when it's warm, I'm just going to keep driving it till it blows and then get a new engine for her
Old 10-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by benertel View Post
Best way to prime that pump is to pack it with petroleum jelly, but too late now that the pan is back on... And let me know how it goes. I replaced my pump and still have low pressure when it's warm, I'm just going to keep driving it till it blows and then get a new engine for her
Believe me, I wish I had done that. After reading this:https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rep...rt-now-112194/

It makes my brain hurt reading it. Story of my life...
Old 10-27-2015, 07:22 PM

Default Tried to Get Something Done.

Well I tried to get something done today but didn't have much luck on that.

Went to put the starter in and seeing how I wasnt the one that took it apart I had to look up which bolt went where. One long and one short bolt, one metric and one standard. What the heck Jeep? So I finally found what I needed here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jee...-bolts-187635/

Anyway, top bolt goes in fine. Bottom not so much. Can barely get it to start for some reason. I went and bought a 3/8x16 tap, cleaned the bolts with wire brush and parts cleaner and, weather permitting, I will get the hole cleaned tapped and starter installed tomorrow.

Also found I am missing a shock retainer. I have 3 and know there should be 4. Chilton says to keep track in how they come off and put back on in same order but again I didnt take it apart. The ones I have are stamped with a 3 or 4, not sure it thats significant or not.

I went to O'reilly's but they dont carry them and were worthless for help on it. Was told go to a junkyard to find them. Will see what my google-fu can come up with.

Anyway... Tomorrow is another day.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:04 PM

The numbers on them don't matter, all those do is hold the bushing in place and compress it. Even a washer would be fine to use temporarily
Old 10-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Default Starter Installed

OK today was somewhat better. I was able to get the starter installed. Ran a tap through the threads on the block where the bottom bolt goes. Didn't have much resistance in there, so it was just dirty I'm guessing. Anyway, threw some thread lock on the bolts and torqued them down.

I hit up a wheel and alignment place and inquired about shock retainers and they went through their odds and ends bin and got a couple retainers for free.

Now I am on to the next quest. I only have 2 shock bushings and no where in town has any even close to the right size. The only way they can get me any bushings are to sell me a new shock. I plan on doing a 3" lift soon so I don't want to buy a new shock right now just for 2 bushings. I guess I will have to hit a junkyard, I don't know...

Also, I still need to attach the exhaust. I have bolts now, but the donut gaskets I was sold don't look like they will fit. And they are different but with the same part number.

Anyway, not sure what the weather is supposed to do tomorrow but hopefully I can find some bushings and get the shocks mounted. We shall see.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:04 AM

Maybe try to find some on Amazon? If you have prime then you could get them 2 day shipping
Old 10-29-2015, 01:01 AM

Default No Luck on Amazon

Maybe try to find some on Amazon? If you have prime then you could get them 2 day shipping
I did some looking on amazon and couldn't find any bushings. Searches for shock bushings for jeep cherokee came up with shocks for the most part. I may be able to get some shocks pretty cheap. I really don't want to spend the extra money on new shocks with the lift down the road but if i get one, I might as well get both front. And if I can get them cheap enough...

It's either that or drive 25-35 miles (one way) to a junkyard or three and pray they have what I need.

I need to at least get the shocks done by Friday afternoon. I am borrowing a jack and jack stands and they need them back for this weekend. The exhaust I can deal with without them.

Wish me luck!
Old 10-29-2015, 09:52 PM

What about these?
Attached Thumbnails Pathfinder74s XJ Build-image-3158559239.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 PM

What about these?
Wonder why I couldn't find anything like that when I searched. Just my luck I guess.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:23 PM

Ok so the decision has been made to just buy shocks due to the price I'm getting them for. Just gonna get some basic monroe hd shocks. I don't feel bad for the price I'm getting on them to replace them in a couple months or so when I do the lift. Picking them up this evening.

In my quest for bushings, I did come up on a crazy deal on a borla exhaust pipe. No muffler, just the pipe. Couldn't pass it up for $20.00.

It'll be a bit before I install it. Have other priorities that come first but like I said, couldn't pass it up.

That's it for now I think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pathfinder74s XJ Build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: