Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

automatic trans problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default automatic trans problem.

My jeep cherokee is 4x2 1992 6 cil. It won't let me put it in gear to 3 or 1-2 and it also takes a long time for it to get in gear when I put it in reverse. What could be the problem? It's missing some transmission fluid which I'm planning to buy(suggestions on which one please), but yeah, I'm scared the transmission's shot.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by gabriel211
My jeep cherokee is 4x2 1992 6 cil. It won't let me put it in gear to 3 or 1-2 and it also takes a long time for it to get in gear when I put it in reverse. What could be the problem? It's missing some transmission fluid which I'm planning to buy(suggestions on which one please), but yeah, I'm scared the transmission's shot.

What do you mean "It won't let me put it in gear"? The linkage is stuck or the transmission won't move in 3 or 1-2 after you've selected it? Same with reverse.

The transmission does need to be service to full in order to function properly.

If you can get the thing moving, drive it for around 15 miles then check the fluid level on the dip stick (engine idling in Park and on level ground). The fluid level should be at or just below the FULL/MAX line on the dipstick. If it's low add just enough trans fluid to bring it up. It only takes a few ounces of fluid to bring it up.

While you're checking the fluid level, sniff the dip stick to see if it smells burnt, and rub some off the dip stick on to a white paper towel to see if it's black. I either case, you should drain and refill the transmission fluid(another subject).

Use Dexron III/Mercon transmission fluid. There's lots of different manufacturers of the stuff. Most will have DEX/MERC on the label. In any case, read the back label to see if it says it is Dexron III/Mercon.

Do this and get back.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The automatics used behind the 4.0L was an AW4 transmission (2wd and 4wd). I was never very good at diagnosing transmissions, but as far as fluid, the AW4 prefers Mercon/Dexron 3.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
What do you mean "It won't let me put it in gear"? The linkage is stuck or the transmission won't move in 3 or 1-2 after you've selected it? Same with reverse.

The transmission does need to be service to full in order to function properly.

If you can get the thing moving, drive it for around 15 miles then check the fluid level on the dip stick (engine idling in Park and on level ground). The fluid level should be at or just below the FULL/MAX line on the dipstick. If it's low add just enough trans fluid to bring it up. It only takes a few ounces of fluid to bring it up.

While you're checking the fluid level, sniff the dip stick to see if it smells burnt, and rub some off the dip stick on to a white paper towel to see if it's black. I either case, you should drain and refill the transmission fluid(another subject).

Use Dexron III/Mercon transmission fluid. There's lots of different manufacturers of the stuff. Most will have DEX/MERC on the label. In any case, read the back label to see if it says it is Dexron III/Mercon.

Do this and get back.
Thw fluid is black and pinkish but it's missing fluid so' I'm going to buy some fluid. The shifter will shift to P, R, N and D, but it won't go down to 3 or 1-2. On the other hand when I put it in R, it basically doesn't do ****. It takes a long time for it to finally get in reverse for some reason. I did add transmedic believing it was just ****ty fluid, but I'm going to buy some trans fluid and fill it up since it has so little. I'm worried about the reverse though. And i don't know about the 3 and 1-2, I can't even shift it to that. But it lets me shift it into any other gear, just reverse takes a long time to get in gear but it shifts to the "R"
Old 05-18-2016, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gabriel211
Thw fluid is black and pinkish but it's missing fluid so' I'm going to buy some fluid. The shifter will shift to P, R, N and D, but it won't go down to 3 or 1-2. On the other hand when I put it in R, it basically doesn't do ****. It takes a long time for it to finally get in reverse for some reason. I did add transmedic believing it was just ****ty fluid, but I'm going to buy some trans fluid and fill it up since it has so little. I'm worried about the reverse though. And i don't know about the 3 and 1-2, I can't even shift it to that. But it lets me shift it into any other gear, just reverse takes a long time to get in gear but it shifts to the "R"

Do the fluid first then address the other issues.

Not being able to position the gear selector to 3 or 1-2 sounds like a gear selector cable issue, or an internal manual input issue. The manual gear selection may, or may not, be an internal transmission problem. On the left side of the transmission there's a manual shift input bell crank that the shift cable connects to. Climb under the Jeep and inspect the bell crank installation and follow it back up to the engine bay. See if there's any faults.

Generally, if the transmission won't move in reverse the transmission is toast. There is no electrical control over reverse (solenoids) - strictly mechanical, this is why it's very important to have the transmission serviced with fresh ATF before condemning the transmission.

If necessary, you may need to drain and refill the transmission with fresh fluid, but start by topping it off.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
Do the fluid first then address the other issues.

Not being able to position the gear selector to 3 or 1-2 sounds like a gear selector cable issue, or an internal manual input issue. The manual gear selection may, or may not, be an internal transmission problem. On the left side of the transmission there's a manual shift input bell crank that the shift cable connects to. Climb under the Jeep and inspect the bell crank installation and follow it back up to the engine bay. See if there's any faults.

Generally, if the transmission won't move in reverse the transmission is toast. There is no electrical control over reverse (solenoids) - strictly mechanical, this is why it's very important to have the transmission serviced with fresh ATF before condemning the transmission.

If necessary, you may need to drain and refill the transmission with fresh fluid, but start by topping it off.
Do you have a photo of the shift cable?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

I suggest you get a factory service manual for you Jeep.

Pacific Coast manuals has a 1993 manual but not a 1992 manual. THe 1993 manual will probably serve your needs.

Go here and down load the '93 manual.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/j...e_manuals.html