Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Auto trans install

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Auto trans install

Alright guys, so I am just wondering if any of you guys might have any tips or tricks when installing an AW4 into your Jeep. I have the trans up and bolted in (not tightened down yet) and I was wondering what your tips or tricks were with getting the torque converter bolted to the flywheel. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 PM

Year: 2000

I've never done it with the Jeep but I've always got one bolt hole on the torque converter lined up with the inspection plate. Then rotate the engine with a socket on the crank pulley to get the flywheel lined up to the T/C.

If all you have are your own eyes and a decent amount of room under the Jeep, try rotating the flywheel with a long prybar through the inspection plate.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by HiPoint
I've never done it with the Jeep but I've always got one bolt hole on the torque converter lined up with the inspection plate. Then rotate the engine with a socket on the crank pulley to get the flywheel lined up to the T/C.

If all you have are your own eyes and a decent amount of room under the Jeep, try rotating the flywheel with a long prybar through the inspection plate.
This^^.

MAKE SURE YOUR TORQUE CONVERTER IS SEATED IN THE TRANS FIRST.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

To be on safe side, take off the wire between the coil to the distributor cap.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

With everything seated correctly of course. I stuck fingers under the flywheel and spun the torque converter with one bolt in one hand until i got one started. I then used a gear wrench to tighten. If you use a gear wrench you should be able to get to second bolt from the spot to where you can barely get the wrench off (and so on for rest) . Its much easier with a second pair of hands. Another trick I have used is putting a socket and long ratchet on the crank (with belt off) and spinning the motor. I used a ratchet that was long enough to go to ground and wedge for leverage. When doing things by yourself and your 300+ lbs you learn to get creative to be able to stay under the jeep than climbing out constantly haha.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Yea the torque converter is seated in the trans. I was just having trouble figuring out the best option for getting it bolted up and figured I would ask you guys what you guys may have done to get it bolted up. Thank you for the help. This thing has been such a PITA lately. I just want it done now and I have been itchin to go out wheeling. Any more tips or tricks won't hurt. I will take all the advice I can get!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by jeepxj24
Yea the torque converter is seated in the trans. I was just having trouble figuring out the best option for getting it bolted up and figured I would ask you guys what you guys may have done to get it bolted up. Thank you for the help. This thing has been such a PITA lately. I just want it done now and I have been itchin to go out wheeling. Any more tips or tricks won't hurt. I will take all the advice I can get!
Tip I would def add would be make sure you get them good and tight. They can back out and sounds like a low end knock when they loosen up. I have had a main bell-housing bolt loosen up on me before. biggest thing is take your time and do it right the first time.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BatmanXJ
Tip I would def add would be make sure you get them good and tight. They can back out and sounds like a low end knock when they loosen up. I have had a main bell-housing bolt loosen up on me before. biggest thing is take your time and do it right the first time.
Sweet thanks!! Yea that is what I was going to do. I am just trying to get it done, but get it done correctly so I don't have to mess with it again. Thank you for the heads up!!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Disconnect battery, jack stands, think safety first, etc.
The engine will roll over easier if you pull your spark plugs.
I've found it easier to install the trans, then the TCase. It can be something of a bear to try it all at once preassembled.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by peep
Disconnect battery, jack stands, think safety first, etc.
The engine will roll over easier if you pull your spark plugs.
I've found it easier to install the trans, then the TCase. It can be something of a bear to try it all at once preassembled.
Oh yea I have the battery disconnected and everything on stands and safely secured. As much as I love working on cars, I hate crawling underneath of them because I always have the fear of something falling on me. Never thought about the plugs. I will have to try that thank you! Yea I didn't wanna mess with having both the trans and t-case together so when I went to put the trans in, I made sure to take off the t-case. That trans is far too heavy to mess with alone. There was no way I wanted to add on the extra weight of the t-case while trying to put it together.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

That's a tough lookin rig. Looks like it wheels real nice!
Do you already have or have considered an additional trans cooler? I've found the extra cooler has given me extended life in hard worked trans applications in many vehicles over the years. It adds a little extra fluid in the system also. I'm also in favour of fluid and filter changes every 100Kkm. If you can, save your old trans as a future parts doner. Just in case you need a replacement, dipstick, pan, solenoid pack, shift lever and such.
Around here Mr Transmission will do a rebuild starting at $1100, just a consideration?
Let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by peep
That's a tough lookin rig. Looks like it wheels real nice!
Do you already have or have considered an additional trans cooler? I've found the extra cooler has given me extended life in hard worked trans applications in many vehicles over the years. It adds a little extra fluid in the system also. I'm also in favour of fluid and filter changes every 100Kkm. If you can, save your old trans as a future parts doner. Just in case you need a replacement, dipstick, pan, solenoid pack, shift lever and such.
Around here Mr Transmission will do a rebuild starting at $1100, just a consideration?
Let us know how it turns out.
Well what spawned the install was a trip out to the Rubicon over the summer and long story short, I put a hole in the side of my peugot 5 speed and have wanted to go to an auto so my wife can drive it too when we go out wheeling. So it is a manual to auto swap and this is the last big thing that is holding me back right now. Right now I have a decent sized cooler, but I am going to probably either get a big one or just add another one so it can take the heat of the desert out here in the summer. Everytime I go to the salvage yard I am always buying more and more spare parts and those have since been put on the list.
Thanks, the Jeep has been a huge learning lesson. I bought it for $500 as a daily driver on 31s and since then it has been through the Rubicon without lockers and armor and went everywhere the group was going (even with the hole in the side of the trans) and that is without getting a tow from anyone. This is the first rig that I have been able to build up and I am enjoying and hating every minute of it, but it has been fun!!
I will definitely keep everyone updated on how it is going. Hopefully in the couple weeks it will be back on the road!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:35 PM

Well a little update. We got the trans in just a little bit ago. We had problems with the flywheel bolts being too long and not letting us turn the motor. After we fixed that we were able to get the trans and t case in today. About another week out and should be back on the trails. Thanks for the advice guys!!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

That;s good news, best of luck, enjoy!