Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aussie Locker question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Aussie Locker question

Ok I have been researching lockers for hours now and I have a question. If I install an aussie locker in the FRONT, when I am not in four wheel drive I won't even know it is there.. correct? Only when in 4 wheel drive. .... And I would love some real world comments on driveability with an aussie locker in the rear. I plan on driving to moab and even as far as mexico in my jeep. What are road manners like? I don't have the money to spend on selectable lockers so please don't hammer me with comments to buy them
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by duffman5001
Ok I have been researching lockers for hours now and I have a question. If I install an aussie locker in the FRONT, when I am not in four wheel drive I won't even know it is there.. correct? Only when in 4 wheel drive. .... And I would love some real world comments on driveability with an aussie locker in the rear. I plan on driving to moab and even as far as mexico in my jeep. What are road manners like? I don't have the money to spend on selectable lockers so please don't hammer me with comments to buy them
cant really tell its there unless you are taking a really tight turn into a parking spot or something. they are a great cheap option
Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM

Year: 2000 sport
Engine: 4.0 I6

Are you referring to the rear locker in this situation? I too have been looking into aussie lockers and have been wondering the same thing as the OP. Any help or info on this subject would be great. Thank you.
Originally Posted by xjoffroad
cant really tell its there unless you are taking a really tight turn into a parking spot or something. they are a great cheap option
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

I heard that with an auto locker such as an Aussie, have problems when driving on snow/ice or other slippery conditions. And also when making tight turns.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

I have one in the front. I live in maine so lots of snow in the winter. I was skeptical at first thinking it would want to plow (go straight) but its not bad.

Because of the way it works the outside wheel can always go faster then the inside wheel as long as the inside wheel is going as fast as the driveshaft tells it to go. In slippery stuff this still works, if you start spinning the inside tire then the outside drives, if you spin them both the jeep goes whereever it wants. Quite a bit harder to spin them both then just one. It does handle differently, but i find it to be equally predictable as open, just takes some getting used to.

I like it enough that I have a rear aussie in the mail
Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

which should get there today housew
you should do a write up on the install...im gonna put my lock rite in today.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

i have an aussie up front cant even tell its there, not even on tight turns.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 I6

is it more beneficial to do it in the front or rear for offroading purposes? i would feel more confident in the rear locker since i have a c8.25 in the rear with 33s. and also the difference in wheel speed in the rear is less than the front correct?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by lefty84
Are you referring to the rear locker in this situation? I too have been looking into aussie lockers and have been wondering the same thing as the OP. Any help or info on this subject would be great. Thank you.
no the front. sometimes, not always in my brothers rig you can feel in going into a parking stall. you will not feel it most of the time
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM

I've been looking into getting a locker too. here's a vid I found that makes the locker purchase even more inviting.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

Thanks for all the input everyone.. I think I will prolly go for aussies front and rear
Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by tannerp89
which should get there today housew
you should do a write up on the install...im gonna put my lock rite in today.
yessir, got it in the mail yesterday. Have it packed away nicely with some rtv, grease, caliper, feeler gauges and gear lube in the xj. Going in tonight after I get to camp or first thing in the morning. I'm semi-pro at these lunchboxes now, I think I can slap it in in <30mins and wait for the rtv to dry a bit and hit the trail. I don't have a camera with me, but my ipod takes videos, if anyones watching me i'll get them to hold that too.

duffman, good choice with the front and rear. You wont be dissapointed