Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Audio Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Audio Help

Two(Or One I think) years ago I bought an Audio package from best buy. Two 6.5’s and a head unit for 99 bucks. Now I know the jeep takes 5.25 but I read you can stuff in the 6.5’s so I did. Well, this Christmas my wife got me some nice kicker 5.25’s that can handle 45 watts RMS 100 peak and I am looking to go from only 2 speakers in the jeep to 4. So my questions are as follows:

1. Should I place the rear speakers in the fiberglass hatch of my 1995 or is it better to place them in the passenger doors?
2. Is there any benefit from running new wire from all the speakers to the head unit?
3. What AMP would you recommend that will not exceed 35 watts RMS?
4. Is a 4CH AMP worth it over running it all out of a 2CH since my head unit has only 1 set of RCA outs?
5. or Forget the AMP and just get a killer head unit to run it all and be done?
Now it is a jeep so I don’t plan to add a sub, or any killer audio gear I just want a nice sound at moderate interior levels.

My Jeep is a 1995 too..

Also if this helps most of my listening is Satellite through my I Pod Sky Dock and MP3 player.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

what stero are u running
Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

get a good head unit, dont worry about the wires.

if you get a 4 ch amp, you want a good head unit to separate the rear and front so you can actually use the HU to fade front to back without having to dial in the gains on the amp.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM

What head unit do you all recommend. 2 sets of RCA pre-outs and Aux in and USB would be nice to have. Also where is the best place to buy it?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

im not in to loud head banging im running a 240 watt sony xplode with factory wiring and 10 speakers sounds pretty good. front doors,tweeters in factory cut out in dash by knees two extra tweets on fron door handel panel ,rear hatch and xj rear sound bar
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
X-J

Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Engine: 242

1. Should I place the rear speakers in the fiberglass hatch of my 1995 or is it better to place them in the passenger doors?

Rear hatch, if your Jeep did not come with factory rear hatch speakers the factory wire harness will not have the wires . that was my case and it looked like PITA to run them with the factory wires, so I used 2 boxed 6x9s

2. Is there any benefit from running new wire from all the speakers to the head unit?
Not really, that's how I hooked up one of my radios.

35 watts is not very much, your head unit should put that much out. I have used many of amplifiers, since your kicker speakers are rated 45 watts a piece + front speakers you would need something more than 180 - 400 watts or more, now an amplifier doesn't always mean louder but a more clear, crisp sound and sounds you might not have been able to hear before if you decide to install an amp. Right now I'm running 2 Crunch Amps @ 2200 watts. (I'm an Audiophile )

4. Is a 4CH AMP worth it over running it all out of a 2CH since my head unit has only 1 set of RCA outs?

You could run a 2 Ch. amp but you wont be able to adjust the fade from front to back. Some 4 Ch. amps have both RCA hookups and high level inputs the difference in RCA and High level (wired straight from the stereo) is the wattage RCA has a lower current signal than high level.
A problem with cheap 2 &4 Ch. amps is channel separation,
i.e. you can hear sounds from channel A in Ch. B

If you like
a nice sound at moderate interior levels
without alot of distortion I would recommend an amp, you can have a ok head unit and since you mentioned you listen to Satalite radio the satellite signals are usually pretty clear.
I would say save the cash for a decent amp.

Hope that helps and if you need more help, post your question with additional details
Old 01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by darkoverlift
Two(Or One I think) years ago I bought an Audio package from best buy. Two 6.5’s and a head unit for 99 bucks. Now I know the jeep takes 5.25 but I read you can stuff in the 6.5’s so I did. Well, this Christmas my wife got me some nice kicker 5.25’s that can handle 45 watts RMS 100 peak and I am looking to go from only 2 speakers in the jeep to 4. So my questions are as follows:

Now it is a jeep so I don’t plan to add a sub, or any killer audio gear I just want a nice sound at moderate interior levels.

My Jeep is a 1995 too..

Also if this helps most of my listening is Satellite through my I Pod Sky Dock and MP3 player.
1. Don't put them in the hatch, you won't be able to hear them very well. I know from expierence. Just go to a pick 'n pull and use a speaker bar from another XJ. It works a lot better.

2. There is no benefit in running new wire unless you have severely corroded speaker wire or you're planning to run speakers that will require a higher gauge wire. Resistance must be taken into consideration. Corrosion causes resistance, and running too small of wire causes resistance. To achieve the best performance of anything, you need minimal resistance.

3. I can't think of any amp that wouldn't exceed 35w RMS. That's pointless.

4. Running a 4 channel amp off a single RCA output is fine. It just supplies power to 4 channels, it'll sound fine.

5. You really don't need a "killer" Head Unit to power 4 speakers. Just about any head unit will be able to do it. I'm running 4 kenwood 1 way 5.25s off an Alpine IDA-X305S and it sounds great. I also have some tweeters hooked up to it and it's clear even when it is cranked up almost all the way!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Haven't bought anything yet. Not sure the route I want to go. My head unit does not go loud without distoration.

Being cheap how is this AMP?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...oss-CX350.html

Any amp you recommend from this site under 100?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

Originally Posted by darkoverlift
Haven't bought anything yet. Not sure the route I want to go. My head unit does not go loud without distoration.

Being cheap how is this AMP?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...oss-CX350.html

Any amp you recommend from this site under 100?
That amp should be fine, I've been installing car electronics/audio for about a year now and I've learned that off-brand products are just as good as the real brand name stuff.

I'd even give this one a try http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-HPA400.4.html