Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cold sputter until warm Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cold sputter until warm Please Help

I am at a loss here. I have been having this cold morning start up issue. After starting it will seem to idle fine but when I tap the gas it will drop in idle for a second then jump up with gas. I have thought it just needed to warm up because it ran great after warming up. This morning I did the routine but when I tried to drive it felt like it was trying to stall out on me. I let it sit for a few minutes to warm up more and it drove better. I put a new IAC in this evening but I dont think it helped. When I let it sit at idle in park it idles a little rough. I have a whistling noise but I can narrow it down. I am at a loss here.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That whistling noise is probably a vacuum leak, and that's probably what's causing it, fix that. And then go from there.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheDale
That whistling noise is probably a vacuum leak, and that's probably what's causing it, fix that. And then go from there.
I kind of thought I did but I am having a hard time finding it. I did change my battery terminal connectors last night and this morning I started having these issues. I just went outside and put my old connectors back on and I did notice a considerable difference. I used the connectors that have wires already connected and you instal the factory wires to them with screw clamps. When I was removing them one of the wires just fell out. I think I had a poor connection with the battery. It was enough to crank but I guess causing some issue with running. I just put the old terminal connectors back on.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

Originally Posted by ken72
I kind of thought I did but I am having a hard time finding it. I did change my battery terminal connectors last night and this morning I started having these issues. I just went outside and put my old connectors back on and I did notice a considerable difference. I used the connectors that have wires already connected and you instal the factory wires to them with screw clamps. When I was removing them one of the wires just fell out. I think I had a poor connection with the battery. It was enough to crank but I guess causing some issue with running. I just put the old terminal connectors back on.
An easy way to find vacuum leaks is to spray starting fluid carefully over all the vacuum lines. When the engine revs then you have found your leak. The little rubber elbows that connect to the intake manifold are good about dry rotting.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 PM

Year: 2000

I'm having the exact same problem. I seem to have some success revving it until I pull away, and then put it in drive quick and give it gas. It surges but it doesn't fall on it's face like if I backed up like a normal person lol. I am scared it might be my torque converter
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM

Well I seemed to have fixed the rough morning stumble and idle. Putting a new IAC and cleaning my battery terminals made a huge difference. I had a loose battery connection probably causing a number of other issues. That cold morning stumble was solved by the IAC.