Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Assistance with a/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987 and 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default Assistance with a/c

Info on vehicle:49 Cherokee sport. The system before I got it was running r12 and did not work before. So in my endeavors of converting I have replaced the expansion valve and dryer. The dryer however is from a 134 system with a different style switch. I Installed the newer style switch and wired it accordingly. The problem I was having before was that I didn't have power to the compressor and there was no Freon from the previous guy replacing the engine. My system is charged at the appropriate level and I can get it to blow super cold by jumping the compressor to the battery. I have tried jumping the new switch at the dryer and northing. I also have switched relays out with no prevail. The auxiliary fan will not turn on either. I have tried chasing the wire going to the compressor but always end up getting lost as I do not have a complete wiring diagram. If anyone has any info on a fix for this Or even some diagrams I could go by with some input on where to look it would be greatly appreciated. A/c systems are not my strong point hence why I have been having others help me but we seem to be stumped on this. There does seem to be the romance of an aftermarket start or something of the sort that has been previously removed located under the fuse panel on the inside so if there are any wire that may have been tampered with it would be greatly appreciated for associated wire colors or such. Sorry for the rambling but it seems like if it isn't one thing it is another and I would love to resolve this issue.

edit I ended up going from this switch
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...Fcnm7AodlV8A-g
to this one
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FW4Q7AodQxgAtg
not the actual switches but that's what got changed along with the dryer if it helps

Last edited by spy1988; 06-24-2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987 and 1993
Model: Cherokee

Anyone with some knowledge on this? Trying to get this working today. Relays and fuses are good as far as I can tell. Could it be the control head or the pcm?
To add to it I forgot to mention that there was an aftermarket temp gauge installed by the po and the factory gauge is dead.

Last edited by spy1988; 06-24-2014 at 01:16 PM.