Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Any pros or cons between either going Rigidco or JCR for a front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Any pros or cons between either going Rigidco or JCR for a front bumper?

I am really torn between these two front bumpers:

Rigidco - FbG http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigid/s...7601534627197/

JCR - Stage 4
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB

They both look pretty sturdy, but it looks as if the Rigidco is a little more beefy, the front of the Rigidco slants down just below the receiver where as the JCR just cuts straight back; kinda think it looks a little better. I do know that JCR is having their Black Friday sale on the Stage 4, but the price of either is not really an influence over one or the other.

Any experience or recommendations?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

The rigidco comes with chassis/bulkhead reinforcing and a mounting setup that is unequalled. It will require drilling and cutting. As far as toughness, I nose dived off a 5' drop (long story) and hit nothing but bumber to rock on impact at the bottom(rig actually ballance for a second on the nose). The impact was off center, directly below the passenger side headlight. The actual 3/16" plate on the bumper is pushed in, but the chassis/mounting and bumper alignment was uneffected.

Here is the mounting kit... http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigid/s...7601335658760/

Downfall is you will need to wait a bit for them to fabricate and ship and Terry is not always easy to contact.

I looked a several bumpers, and there was only one way to go for what I use my rig for. I use my bumpers, they are not there just in case, they are there because they need to be.

The JCR is probably up to the task for typical wheelers and will likely ship the day it's ordered.
There are a tonne of JCR customers on this site, and they all are happy with the product, I've not seen a single one of them say a negitive thing about the products or customer service.

Last edited by Mike H.; 11-17-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mike H.
The rigidco comes with chassis/bulkhead reinforcing and a mounting setup that is unequalled. It will require drilling and cutting. As far as toughness, I nose dived off a 5' drop (long story) and hit nothing but bumber to rock on impact at the bottom(rig actually ballance for a second on the nose). The impact was off center, directly below the passenger side headlight. The actual 3/16" plate on the bumper is pushed in, but the chassis/mounting and bumper alignment was uneffected.

Here is the mounting kit... http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigid/s...7601335658760/

Downfall is you will need to wait a bit for them to fabricate and ship and Terry is not always easy to contact.

I looked a several bumpers, and there was only one way to go for what I use my rig for. I use my bumpers, they are not there just in case, they are there because they need to be.

The JCR is probably up to the task for typical wheelers and will likely ship the day it's ordered.
There are a tonne of JCR customers on this site, and they all are happy with the product, I've not seen a single one of them say a negitive thing about the products or customer service.

Thanks for the information. How much cutting did you need to do, anything excesssive? Can I get by with my dremel?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:51 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 6 Cly 4.0 HO

i have this bumper and it is solid comes with like a million bolts that bolt through the fame in exsisting holes and extra steering box support and 2 d-ring mounts and light mounts and a winch mount
as for strenghth i have hit 4 deer with it two of then yesterday and they were all and 55-60 mph and there was no damage what so ever to the bumper or my jeep
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

I've never ran or seen rigidco but i ran a JCR for a while their bumpers are very clean, are beefy/sturdy, come with tie-in brackets that use the steering box bolts.

honestly, they both seem pretty good and have great feedback so i dont think you can go wrong buying either one. pick what one you like the best and go with it.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by mountainsurfer77
Thanks for the information. How much cutting did you need to do, anything excesssive? Can I get by with my dremel?
I did not install mine... I know poo poo on me.
At the time I was working a million hours(making decent $), and out of town all week... I didn't want to spend the weekend in the garage.
I don't know if a dremel would do, you can get a grinder pretty cheap... I think I paid $30 for a cheap Ryobi that I've used for 6 years now.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Not saying you'd want to trust your livelyhood on one, but for a weekend smuck it has been perfect.
If I'm not mistaken, someone had put RigidCo instal instructions on the internet somewhere...

Looks like a dremel would probably be fine...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rigid/2...7606212181917/

BTW, I am not friends with the owner or anything, I simply feel it's the best engineered front bumper out there. For a rear bumper I would look elsewhere.
EDIT: Just saw some recent phots of thier rear bumper... might be worth investigating.

Last edited by Mike H.; 11-19-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

I'll never run anything but Staangs Fab but if I had to choose between the two I'd go with JCR but only because i know the company does good work. But to me, staangs is in another league all together.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM

I think I may have to go JCR, right now with their Black Friday sale I can get the Stage 4 shipped for $310 where as the Rigidco is going to cost me about $450. I thought they might be closer in price but with this sale I don't think I can let the JCR pass for a $140 in savings.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
I'll never run anything but Staangs Fab but if I had to choose between the two I'd go with JCR but only because i know the company does good work. But to me, staangs is in another league all together.
I could not find any detailed photos of the Staangs bumper or mounting setup...