Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default antifreeze leak

I just bought my first Jeep Cherokee. It is a 99 sport with the strait 6. It isnt in bad shape but there are some things that I want to fix.

First thing is that I noticed an anti freeze leak. I didnt notice any fluid under it when I test drove it or when i went to buy it. The people had a nice clean drive way so I think I would have. I drove it a couple hours the first day. Today I notice a small amount of antifreeze under the front left side of the Jeep. I can also smell it slightly.

It looks like it is coming from the radiator hose on the left side. I dont have time to pull it apart right until this weekend. After work the puddle was dried up. I checked it after I got home and havent noticed it leaking anymore.

Any thoughts or suggestion?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

First of all, it's best to post the year/engine right out of the gate. There are significant differences through the years.

Leaks are difficult for us to help you with. Gotta put in your time. And be aware that leaks can be tricky as fluid can "migrate" from the place it originally leaks to a lower spot where it actually drips off to the ground. My recommendation is to get your XJ up in the air and perform a thorough inspection of all cooling system parts with a good light.

Pay special attention to the radiator (seams especially), weep hole on the water pump and of course the hoses and frost plugs.

Usually once you get it up in the air and get an inspection done, you'll most likely find the leak. Be sure to do so with a warm engine; fully pressurized cooling system. Don't be hesitant to replace any and all cooling system parts that are long in the tooth. Money spent on cooling system maintenance is arguably the best money you can spend on your XJ!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by tjwalker; 09-18-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

It sounds like it may only be leaking when warm. Get it up to temperature, take it for a drive, park it and pop the hood with it running and look around and see where it's coming from.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:07 PM

Yea sorry about that. Its a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 with the 4.0.

Ive driven it over a half hour 3 times since then and honestly haven't noticed it again. I haven't smelled it either. I plan on spending some time underneath it this weekend. I will do a thorough inspection on the cooling system. If I see anything that is questionable I will replace it.

Ive tried looking at it while it was running and didnt notice anything either. It had just recently had an oil change change and fluids toped off. Im wondering if it could have been some overflow. Think this is a possibility?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Maybe you spilled some when you topped it off? lol
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM

haha I may be a newb but I would know if that was the problem. I didn't do the oil change the guy I bought it from did. It was just a thought probably not the case.