Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another pitman arm removal thread?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Another pitman arm removal thread?

Tried searching but couldn't find answer... Going to replace my steering box and need to remove pitman arm I can't get my 33mm socket on the nut because the sway bar is blocking it. I tried to remove the sway bar but there's no way I'm getting the bolts off without an air impact. Would a pipe wrench be able to take the pitman arm bolt off?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

I needed a breaker and cheater to get the nut off myself. If you have a lot of rust in your area you might have a hard time with just a pipe wrench.

Why do you think you'll need an air impact to get the sway bar off? I don't think I needed more than a regular 1/2 rachet when I replaced the bushings (for the frame brackets) and no more than a breaker bar for the link hardware.
​​​​​​​
Old 02-19-2018, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
I needed a breaker and cheater to get the nut off myself. If you have a lot of rust in your area you might have a hard time with just a pipe wrench.

Why do you think you'll need an air impact to get the sway bar off? I don't think I needed more than a regular 1/2 rachet when I replaced the bushings (for the frame brackets) and no more than a breaker bar for the link hardware.
Because I tried my 1/2 inch breaker bar on the bushings, it didn't even budge tried my m18 compact impact and that didn't work! I'm thinking a pipe wrench with a big pipe attached will possibly work.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

It sounds like that should work.

Good luck - I don't envy you. Replacing the steering gear was one of the biggest PITA things I can recall doing. Once you get the nut off you're still only halfway there as the pitman arm is a b1tch to get off as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
It sounds like that should work.

Good luck - I don't envy you. Replacing the steering gear was one of the biggest PITA things I can recall doing. Once you get the nut off you're still only halfway there as the pitman arm is a b1tch to get off as well.
Lol I'm not looking forward to doing it either but it has to be done. I've got the puller, a full can of PB blaster and a sledgehammer. It's my second car so I can take several days to work on it if it's necessary.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I used a deepwell socket (I think it was 36mm) a breaker bar, and a cheater pipe to get the nut off. I vaguely remember parking against a curb to prevent the wheels from turning while breaking the nut free

Then I broke 2 pitman arm pullers trying to separate the arm. Heat and an air hammer, with the pitman arm puller putting a ton of pressure on the arm finally broke it loose.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I used a deepwell socket (I think it was 36mm) a breaker bar, and a cheater pipe to get the nut off. I vaguely remember parking against a curb to prevent the wheels from turning while breaking the nut free

Then I broke 2 pitman arm pullers trying to separate the arm. Heat and an air hammer, with the pitman arm puller putting a ton of pressure on the arm finally broke it loose.
Can't get a socket on got the sway bar in the way. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to get a 24 inch pipe wrench. I'm just going to take my time I'm laid off right now ( dang winter) so I've got plenty of time. Parking against the curb sounds like a good idea thanks for the tip!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee

I used a box end wrench on mine. Northern Tool or Sears will have the size you need on the shelf. IIRC, 1 5/16" is the standard equivalent. Fits good. I parked close to the curb so I could put my back against the curb and push on the wrench with my boot. The bugger is torqued to 300 ft/lbs or so.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:46 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Wait til you get to do it over again because the rebuilt unit is most likely junk.....
Old 02-20-2018, 07:10 PM

Good news I got it off! I used a 24 inch pipe wrench with a cheater pipe and the nut popped right off. Getting the arm off was time consuming but not really hard with an 18 inch breaker bar and that cheater pipe I did break a puller but I knew that was going to happen. My method was tightening the puller and hit with a 3 lb ball peen hammer a bunch, tighten repeat. Took about half an hour until it popped off. Of course I used PB blaster liberally. Still have to put the new one on but the brace cracked and one of the bolts broke so I had to order one from ebay should be here Saturday. The sway bar bushings did come off I was turning the bolts the wrong way

Yep I've heard the re-built ones are junk but I don't have much of a choice lol. Besides the people I've known that have had issues usually missed something during the install. I've heard how horrible duralast parts are yet I've used them on multiple vehicles with not one issue. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by kbeam418; 02-20-2018 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

I used a duralast gear on my TJ and it was fine. I only got a couple years between the gear replacement and the tranny blowing, but it worked fine that entire time.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Should anyone want to rebuild a box themselves, or simply curious as to whats inside of them...

Last edited by fb97xj1; 02-20-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have a really good steering rebuilder that I use in Denver. Got 2 bad boxes from the parts store and finally had him build me one from a Durango. Feels so good, nice and tight. Made my XJ feel like new again. I didn't have good luck with the ones from the parts stores.

Ditto for the power steering pump, the first one from the parts store leaked and the second one seized it's bearing and blew up on me, add a trans filter to the return line of the pump for good measure

​​​​
Old 02-24-2018, 04:54 PM

Okay new steering box is on steering play is gone! Bad news is I need an alignment because my drivers side tire is severally toed out not exactly sure why. Couple of questions though, how far should the pitman arm go on the new steering box I've got about 1/2 between the pitman arm, I used an 18 inch breaker bar plus a three foot cheater pipe to tighten it. I've also got a little steering whine (due to air) is it safe to drive it until it goes away checking the fluid level of-course.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:35 PM

Year: 1997

185ft/lbs is the spec, if you got it that tight chances are it's where it needs to be. Did you bleed air after installing the box? Jack the front tires off the ground, turn steering wheel lock to lock about 20 times. Helps if you have a helper turn the wheel so you can make sure the reservoir doesn't run dry. If the fluid bubbles up, shut it down for a bit and let it settle

Quick Reply: Another pitman arm removal thread?