Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another A/C Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Another A/C Thread

Yes, I have searched. Nothing that is directly related to me. I do NOT claim to be an A/C guru, and need a lesson.

After charging the A/C, I am not getting cold air. It wasn't completely out and did not blow cold before recharging. It is now holding pressure at 50 with the engine off. My compressor keeps cycling on and off once it builds up pressure to the ambient air setting on the recharge kit, and drops to almost 0 before building pressure again. It does this about every ten seconds. Is this normal? Everything else works as it should. The fan works in all speed settings, the blend door moves as it should, etc.

Thanks in advance. Jason
Old 06-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by AirborneDeth
Yes, I have searched. Nothing that is directly related to me. I do NOT claim to be an A/C guru, and need a lesson.

After charging the A/C, I am not getting cold air. It wasn't completely out and did not blow cold before recharging. It is now holding pressure at 50 with the engine off. My compressor keeps cycling on and off once it builds up pressure to the ambient air setting on the recharge kit, and drops to almost 0 before building pressure again. It does this about every ten seconds. Is this normal? Everything else works as it should. The fan works in all speed settings, the blend door moves as it should, etc.

Thanks in advance. Jason
2000 XJ my ac clutch was doing the same.....I found this video and read some as well.... I took off the compressor clutch - you do not need to remove or loosen any belts. On the spline should be 1 or more washers/shims. Mine had 1 which I removed, put things back together and viola.... works great. The only thing I removed was the fan shroud. I will say that for 3-4 days before I did this I put a few drops of penetrating oil in the clutch bolt so it would be easier to remove.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

It will also cycle repeatedly if it is low on refrigerant, but not low enough to trip the low pressure sensor.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I'm dumb. It needed more freon than I thought...but it still hasn't used the whole bottle. It's blowing pretty cold now. Hopefully it stays that way for the next 2 weeks so I don't sweat to death at the beach.

The compressor is still cycling about every ten seconds though.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

It should run about 30 psi on the low side if it is going lower than that it will cycle. This is assuming around 75 degrees ambient temp. Sounds like a low freon charge.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by MACherokee
Mine had 1 which I removed, put things back together and viola.... works great.
This will only buy you a little time as there is no clutch "adjustment" replacement is the only real fix.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
This will only buy you a little time as there is no clutch "adjustment" replacement is the only real fix.
Certainly goes without saying that shim removal is not going to accomplish a permanent fix; however for someone who doesn't have the scratch to rebuild or buy a new unit this often gets one thru for a period of time with the caveat that your mileage may vary.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
It will also cycle repeatedly if it is low on refrigerant, but not low enough to trip the low pressure sensor.

Ding! It was definitely still too low.

It is now fixed and blowing ICE COLD.

The moral of the story: Don't be a wimp. Use the bottle if you have too. I was scared I was going to put too much in and wreck something.

Thanks for your replies again people.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

at the beach.
North Carolina beach? Which one, I'm on Hatteras.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I always jumper the low pressure sending unit to "force" the AC compressor to stay on before I go wasting money on freon/134a. Keep filling it until it says that you are within the right pressure on the AC Refrigerant gauge (fill from the low-pressure side).

Then, just leave it jumpered for a few more minutes while the engine is running to get the new refrigerant fully circulated and everything. Then just plug the sending unit back in and hope that it stays on without any issues!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
North Carolina beach? Which one, I'm on Hatteras.

Oak Island.

I've never been to Hatteras before. I may swing out there to check it out sometime this summer...If not next week.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:09 AM
Beach Bum

Oak Island.

I've never been to Hatteras before. I may swing out there to check it out sometime this summer...If not next week.
Can you drive on the beach on Oak Island?
Hatteras is a National Park and managed by the Park Service. It's 55 miles long and 1/2 mile wide (mostly). Driving on the beach requires a permit, $50 per week or $120 per year. Right now there are 20 miles available for driving on the beach. surrounded by VFA's, Vehicle Free Area.
The maritime forest is state owned, open and free. There are rarely many people on the driving beaches. Often none!
From the South you could take ferries to get here. Otherwise the only road/bridge enters from the North.
Attached Thumbnails Another A/C Thread-dsc03142.jpg   Another A/C Thread-dsc03122.jpg   Another A/C Thread-4.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

Is there any reason I can't use my shiny new fuel pressure gauge to measure the air con pressure? If the schraeder valve fits, that is. It goes up to 140PSI so it shouldn't go bang...should it?

I'm jealous of your beaches
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by Morat
Is there any reason I can't use my shiny new fuel pressure gauge to measure the air con pressure? If the schraeder valve fits, that is. It goes up to 140PSI so it shouldn't go bang...should it?

I'm jealous of your beaches
In winter the beaches are fun to drive.

The fittings are all different sizes, will not work. You will need a AC gauge.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
Can you drive on the beach on Oak Island?
Hatteras is a National Park and managed by the Park Service. It's 55 miles long and 1/2 mile wide (mostly). Driving on the beach requires a permit, $50 per week or $120 per year. Right now there are 20 miles available for driving on the beach. surrounded by VFA's, Vehicle Free Area.
The maritime forest is state owned, open and free. There are rarely many people on the driving beaches. Often none!
From the South you could take ferries to get here. Otherwise the only road/bridge enters from the North.
Not on Oak Island. You can at Carolina Beach...and you can also camp on the beach overnight. I believe you need a permit also.

Quick Reply: Another A/C Thread