Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ANOTHER a/c question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default ANOTHER a/c question

I have searched and have been reading other threads but didn't really find anyone with a similar problem. I have an 01 xj. Recently, the a/c has occassionally seemed like it wasn't blowing as cold as it usually does. Today, on a 4 hr ride(mostly at hwy speeds, between 55-80) it would blow cold for a while, then it would blow barely cool air, but not cold. If I left it on, it would eventually start blowing cold again and then after a while, not so cold. If I turned it off for a while, it would do the same thing. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 09:37 PM

Engine: 4.0

recharge it! i had the same problem here recently and a charge fixed it right up! if it happened suddenly tho, you might have a leak. they sell a UV dye that you put in the system and wear special glasses to find.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Update- I checked the pressure of the system and it indicated that the pressure was good and at the level that it didn't need freon. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Next time it does it. Pull over and pop you hood and take a look at the hoses and all the related part. To me it sound like your system is freezing up. When I first bought my 98 I had my ac freezing up and it would do the same thing. It would start nice and cold then hardly come out cool at all. I was told that it was over filled with freon. I don't know how true that is. But what I would do all the long drive. Once it started not cooling as well shut off the ac for 3 to 5 mins. then turn it back on and it would give it enough time to unfreeze and it would be fine again. once I was told about it being over filled i drained a little out and it hasn't done it since.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:27 PM

Still haven't been able to solve my problem. The pressure checked out ok. Whenever it started to produce "not so cold" air, I pulled over and checked the a/c clutch. It is definately cycling off. The large a/c hose is getting pretty cold and has condensation all over it. I don't think it is "overcharged" based on my pressure readings and the fact that this has just started in the last 6-8 weeks. I've had the jeep for about a yr and a half and my in-laws got it almost new in 01. My father-in-law said he put a little bit of freon in about 2 or 3 yrs ago. Could this be a low pressure switch problem or maybe a climate control switch problem? Any help is appreciated.