Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AMSOil

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default AMSOil

I am thinking of converting over to AMSOil products (oil, trans fluid, etc..). I know that it is pricey, but that is not what I wanting everyones opinion on. I was wondering if anyone has ever used or knows anyone who has, and what kind of results you had. Also feel free to suggest any other company's products to use. Please keep in mind I would like use one company products not several different companies (if it is possible).
Old 09-29-2011, 08:50 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Never used it in a car but always use it in my bikes. I believe they make an oil specifically for flat tappet engines.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Synthetic should be fine for the oil, but probably not wise for tranny, if you have a lot of mileage on it. I suspect if the tranny is new or newly re-built it probably will be fine. Curious what others say
Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have used Schaeffers, BG, Amsoil, Castrol GTX, etc. There is nothing special about any of them. Proper maintenance will always outperform some magic fluid. I personally don't understand why people think a certain brand will give their vehicle magical powers or last forever. There are moving parts in a vehicle with tons of stressors on it. No matter what you do eventually it will die some super expensive oil isn't going prevent that.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cdawall
I have used Schaeffers, BG, Amsoil, Castrol GTX, etc. There is nothing special about any of them. Proper maintenance will always outperform some magic fluid. I personally don't understand why people think a certain brand will give their vehicle magical powers or last forever. There are moving parts in a vehicle with tons of stressors on it. No matter what you do eventually it will die some super expensive oil isn't going prevent that.

X2. I've used different brands, and synthetic vs natural oils. Never seen any differences except that the 10-30 mobil1 makes the 3.8 in my van tick like crazy, conventional oil brought it back to its normal quiet self.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

X3

I use "Amsoil Severe Gear" in the Diffs on my Jeep and my Drift car (Toyota Supra w/ a Torsen LSD 4:30gear) Works awesome but I tell yea the only reason I use it is because one of my sponsors provides me with it.... I run Mobil 1 in all my engines except the Jeep I use Castrol... with Diffs on the Jeep if you Wheel alot or go through water I would by the cheapest gear oil I could find...because you are suppost to change it so often.... Some engine oils burn cleaner then others I.E. Red Line or Mobil 1 vrs pensoil, walmart or gas station brands... but like has been said, proper up keep and you will be good
Old 09-30-2011, 12:49 AM

Year: 2000

x4

All these backyard oil chemists, some people even mix stuff
Old 09-30-2011, 02:47 AM

Engine: i-6 4.0

I run it in my engine, and diffs. The PO said he ran synthetic in it the whole time he had it so i just continued that. Cant say anything bad about it, but not gona say it makes a huge difference.

Only thing i like about it is you can send in an oil analysis and see if the oil is still good to be ran. You can send in any oil to the company (its third party) but as long as the engine is healthy, you can see if there are metal or contaminants in it and fix the problem and change the oil and just retest later.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Z15

I can set you up with a AMSOIL wholesale account

Distribution centers all over the USA and 2 in Canada....

Mike
AMSOIL DJ
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

I run Amsoil in my differentials, transfer case and transmission. It is good stuff. However, I use conventional oil (Havoline) in the engine and change it frequently. Can't justify the cost for engine oil.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Z15

Amsoil has synthetic oils (OE line) that sell for $4.70 qt at preferred customer prices, even less at 4.44 qt in cases. That's comparable to a lot of the synthetics on the discount store shelves.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:51 AM

Year: 1992

Amsoil has the most persistent followers and salesmen to ^^^^
Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by Z15
I can set you up with a AMSOIL wholesale account

Distribution centers all over the USA and 2 in Canada....

Mike
AMSOIL DJ
Hey, Mike, you wouldnt happen to be the Mike who is the biggest, or one of the biggest amsoil dealers in MI are you? From southeast MI?
Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6 Powertech

Same I like Amsoil but I would use it on everything but Motor Oil and transmission unless you got all the ATF out hate mixing. Right now it is only in my diffs. Might change Transfer-case but that's it. I change my oil to much to put synthetic in it. Also if you haven't changed your valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and oil filter holder gasket (where you put the oil filter). I wouldn't recommend running synthetic you will just make leaks worse.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

my dad as actually became a dealer rep for AMSoil. He swears by this stuff! He uses it in all the rigs and quads. I've started using it as well, free gift from dad lol. I havent noticed a big performance gain, but everything does seem to run a lil smoother...but that could just be the placebo effect....would I recommend it, ya I would!

Quick Reply: AMSOil