Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Always another problem. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Angry Always another problem. Please help.

Im really startin to hate this damn Jeep. I don't know if it's the build quality of the thing or if the PO that I bought it from just treated it like crap. I don't know, but what I do know is that this is my DD to college, and I've got another problem with it.

It's a 91 XJ, and I know how these work and their usual noises. Injector pulses, lifter tick, I know all the usual noises. However, this morning's start up yielded an unusual noise. A rather loud ticking. After driving it for a moment, the Jeep only ticks like this during slightly harder acceleration. During decceleration, coasting, idling, and very slow acceleration, she doesn't make the noise. I tried to get a video of it, but the camera is MIA and the cell phone video is worth garbage. The best way I can describe it is kinda like when kids would put cards in their bike wheels to get that ticking noise. Or even better, the usual lifter tick, only on a much louder and knockier scale.

I appreciate any help with this problem. I'm hoping it's just a rocker arm or push rod... something cheap and easy to replace because if not, then this truck is getting sold. I love the damn thing, and my dream has always been to get another car as a DD and build the out of the Jeep; but if I can't get it to last til I can get a job in summer, then I will have no other choice but to sell.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

If this helps, I found a video on youtube that has a similiar sound. The only difference is that when I'm parked and I push the gas, I don't really hear it. I only hear it when driving.

Also if this extra info helps, I have a cracked header... and I think it's pretty cracked. I also think I have loose torque converter/ flex plate bolts. Also, I just noticed last night, when the sound first started, that I had a little bit of oil leaking from around the filler cap. Not much, just enough to let me see it and wipe it up. If I can answer any more questions to help find an answer, I will be more than happy to.

No CEL, oil pressure is the same as always (20-25 at idle when warm, 40-45 when cruising hghway), oil changed RELIGOUSLY every 3,000 miles/ 3 months with Mobil 1 High Mileage and [Im starting to think this may have had something to do with it] a can of Restore for the past two changes per the idea of someone who made me think they actually knew what they were talking about.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Can u isolate the ticking to down low passenger side of block (lifters) or up high under the valve cover (valve train)?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
Can u isolate the ticking to down low passenger side of block (lifters) or up high under the valve cover (valve train)?
The ticking is def. up in the top end, near the valve cover.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

what kinda oil filter are you using?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bluemax
what kinda oil filter are you using?
Mopar
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

A friend suggested lifters. He said that the Restore could've gummed them up, and they are making the noise. But I thought lifters were closer to the camshaft? This sound is closer to the valve cover.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

If you don't hear it at idle try driving down the road shift into neutral while coasting rev the engine is the noise there? If not it has to be something with the wheels. Bearing, bushing, ujoint, sway bar links.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lambo
If you don't hear it at idle try driving down the road shift into neutral while coasting rev the engine is the noise there? If not it has to be something with the wheels. Bearing, bushing, ujoint, sway bar links.
Nothing with the wheels. Tried coasting, and the noise is still there during acceleration. I can def tell its something near the VC with the engine. I just wish I knew exactly what it is.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

Lifter noise will come from your valve cover... just keep the oil changed and maybe run some deadpan before your next oil change for a few hundred miles... they will fun many miles with lifter noise... keep an eye on your oil pressure just incase...
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
Lifter noise will come from your valve cover... just keep the oil changed and maybe run some deadpan before your next oil change for a few hundred miles... they will fun many miles with lifter noise... keep an eye on your oil pressure just incase...
Thank you! Im really starting to think that the Restore I've used for two oil changes has gummed up something, because I sit here and beat myself in the head wondering why on God's good earth I would put something that is thick, blue, and has little specs of Lord knows what into my engine. I'm gonna run an oil change with some motor flush, and then just run my usual Mobil 1 high mileage. It just amazes me that just having something gummed up could cause such a noise! I honestly thought something had snapped and was banging around in there.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Whole lotta gyrations are goin' on under the valve cover, lubrication's gotta be perfect. I'm guessing possibly a plugged oil passage. Might pop the valve cover, check for any excessively loose rocker arms or push rods. Each piston needs to be at TDC compression stroke to properly check the valve train for the corresponding cylinder. Maybe chill on the Restore (or any other oil additives) for a bit. I can't stress enough the value of a FSM....can't imagine not gettin' our money back if/when the day comes to sellin' the XJ.

Rocker arms are up high under the valve cover, lifters are down low in the block on top of cam shaft.

Last edited by djb383; 03-01-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
Whole lotta gyrations are goin' on under the valve cover, lubrication's gotta be perfect. I'm guessing possibly a plugged oil passage. Might pop the valve cover, check for any excessively loose rocker arms or push rods. Each piston needs to be at TDC compression stroke to properly check the valve train for the corresponding cylinder. Maybe chill on the Restore (or any other oil additives) for a bit. I can't stress enough the value of a FSM....can't imagine not gettin' our money back if/when the day comes to sellin' the XJ.
Don't worry, Im not touching another can of Restore. Im not touching anymore of that crap. If something leaks, I'll replace it. If it burns more than what is considered normal oil consumption, I will just refill with oil.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

i thought it was retarded first time i seen someone do this but i seen someone take a 5/8 inch hose and put to his hear and move the hose around like a stethascope but when there was a ticking in my van i couldnt find i tried it and sure enough i found the loudest point and found it was torque converter bolts loose....maybe if you can do this you can pinpoint exactly where the sound is coming from....
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You have an exhaust leak at the manifold/ cylinder head gasket.

Quick Reply: Always another problem. Please help.