Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alternator charging but not spinning

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: straight 6
Unhappy Alternator charging but not spinning

Hi all,

So my 96 unfortunately ended up sitting for a few weeks, and now my alternator is stuck. Never had issues with it prior, but it's been miserable weather up here, and with it just sitting there... It is still charging though, because the truck starts up fine... except for the horrendous screaming from the belt going over the non-moving alt. It was still freezing cold out when I turned it on and realized the problem, so as a last hail mary I threw lubricant on it and let it sit for two days of unseasonably warm weather and gave it another shot. It almost looked like it budged a bit when I turned it on the second time, but a budge does not a working alternator make. So, I guess I have to take the damn thing out. What I'm wondering, though, is if anyone is familiar with this scenario and maybe there is a way to fix the alternator myself, or at least if it would be worth it to take it to get repaired, in lieu of buying another one. Money is tight for me and I'd rather not sink too much into a $500 truck, no matter how much I love it. I really appreciate any advice, feedback, tips, whatever. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Your alternator is definitely NOT charging. You're starting up because the battery has a full charge.

You could attempt to replace the bearing, but you'd probably have to order it. It's certainly possible to do.

If your bearing went bad though, what condition are the other components? It's probably best to just grab a lifetime warrantied alternator from your local parts store or order one online. They're only about $100, so it's not a huge investment.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Unless you have a local shop that performs alternator repairs (some towns are lucky enough to have an old school mechanic that does this), then it's off to the parts store for a new alternator. They aren't that expensive.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Like what's been said, if your alternator pulley is seized, you have no charging. You're simply running off the battery. Keep starting it without a working alternator and you'll discharge the battery quickly. You need to replace the alternator, period. If you don't want to spend much, go to the junkyard and find one.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:14 PM

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately the truck was used for plowing and salting previously so it definitely has a rusty underbelly.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:16 PM

Ok thanks everyone, I'll continue doing my research on the replacement procedure and pick up a new alternator. Out of curiosity, how many times approximately will the truck start on just the battery?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Depends on the state of the battery. A few times (who's to say?). But once its started, it will eventually die while running, because all of the electrical on the vehicle is being powered only from the battery (fuel injectors, ignition, gauges, etc.).
Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

The alternator comes out through the bottom, so if you can, get the Jeep in a comfortable spot (like a nice dry garage floor) before removing.

My advice on replacement procedure is:
1 - Remove the fan clutch (with the belt on so you can break the nuts free)
2 - Loosen the belt
3 - Unplug the wires to the alternator
4 - Remove the alternator bolts (2) and the L shaped bracket bolts (4 or 5) and the alternator comes right out.

A 13mm ratcheting combo wrench will be extremely helpful between the belt tensioner stuff and the fan clutch, but it's not required by any means.

Personally, I'd replace the belt too. It can get worn pretty fast chafing over a seized pulley. If it's too much $$ now and the old belt is serviceable, do it as soon as you can. I love the Continental Elite (formerly Goodyear) "Gator-back" style belts - they're awesome.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L I6

mine was $80 on amazon. Probably cheaper than autozone or oreilly's.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

In MA the AZ runs about $110 for the reman with lifetime warranty. Since the retail replacements are generally much shorter lived than the OEM, an extra $30 for the warranty is worth it to me.
The OP mentioned cost being an issue, so it may be best for him to order the Amazon one if he can wait a few days to have it in hand.
Pep boys often has special discounts if you order online and pick-up in store, so that might be worth checking into if waiting a few days is not a reasonable option.