Notices
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For all the cold-weather 'fixers' out there (at tip)

Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM
  #1  
Seasoned Member
Thread Starter
 
Jeepwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Good 'ol WI
Posts: 280
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default For all the cold-weather 'fixers' out there (at tip)

A good tip for the guys in the north who end up working on their Jeeps out in the cold: Put a small electric heater inside. Even on the low setting it keeps the interior nice and toasty while you work (inside). I had to change my Jeep's heater core and I didn't want to bring it into the garage (afraid I might introduce mice to the house!). The heater made it nice and toasty inside. Also kept brittle plastics from breaking.




Last edited by Jeepwalker; 02-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Jeepwalker is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 AM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Groton, MA
Posts: 2,789
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default

If you're working outside, the little toe warmer packs work pretty well.

I've been doing a lot of work in the basement/crawlspace at night (due to work and having small needy children) and after several nights of feeling like my toes were going to fall off from the cold I grabbed a couple of the toe warmers from the hardware store and they worked pretty damn well. I didn't realize how much time I was wasting running into the house to warm up until I wasn't having to do it. Well worth the $1.50 I spent on the toe warmers.

Last night I had a quick wiring fix I needed to do (I'd half-a'd it due to limited resources a few months back) and I was outside for not even 20 minutes and without any supplementary heat and my toes felt like they were going to fall off from the cold. And it wasn't even THAT bad - 20's/30's with no wind.
PatHenry is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
  #3  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,789
Default

All the stuff I do to my Jeep is done between about April and October. My only choice is to do this stuff outside.
After October my goal is to not have to touch the Jeep till the following April.
With the exception of having to do the CPS last February I have been fortunate.
Those propane torpedo heaters pop up on Craigslist from time to time. Sometimes as cheap as $50. No tank though.
I always toy with the idea of buying one and just running it outside should the need arise.
Wonder how long a 20 lb tank would last doing that. LOL.
Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
robertj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 970
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
All the stuff I do to my Jeep is done between about April and October. My only choice is to do this stuff outside.
After October my goal is to not have to touch the Jeep till the following April.
With the exception of having to do the CPS last February I have been fortunate.
Those propane torpedo heaters pop up on Craigslist from time to time. Sometimes as cheap as $50. No tank though.
I always toy with the idea of buying one and just running it outside should the need arise.
Wonder how long a 20 lb tank would last doing that. LOL.
I try to do the same as you, because I only drive my XJ in the Winter. But I swear every year I go to start driving it one or more problems pop up after it's sat all summer long. This year it was the hydraulic clutch assembly. Last year the radiator sprang a leak. It's always something, but that's half the fun.

Those torpedo heaters will flat run you out of a garage they get so warm. I used one in my 4 car tandem garage in the Winter when I lived in Indiana and I would have to cycle it on and off. Not sure how well they would do outside though. Haha
robertj is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM
  #5  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,789
Default

Originally Posted by robertj View Post
I try to do the same as you, because I only drive my XJ in the Winter. But I swear every year I go to start driving it one or more problems pop up after it's sat all summer long. This year it was the hydraulic clutch assembly. Last year the radiator sprang a leak. It's always something, but that's half the fun.

Those torpedo heaters will flat run you out of a garage they get so warm. I used one in my 4 car tandem garage in the Winter when I lived in Indiana and I would have to cycle it on and off. Not sure how well they would do outside though. Haha
No my Jeep is my DD. All year round.
But yeah on those heaters. My friends father had one in his 2 car garage. Normal size garage. 10 minutes at full blast and you turned it off cause it was all it took to get the garage hot.
But outside thinking not so good. But if I have to be out there it would be better then nothing. LOL.
Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 PM
  #6  
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Pampa, Texas
Posts: 323
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 liter
Default

I used one of those heaters while changing a transmission out of an xj one winter here. There was snow on the driveway and I simply placed some old plywood scraps around the perimeter of the jeep, essentially enclosing the underside of the jeep. i placed the torpedo nosed into the front center of the jeep pointed toward the rear. Two positive things came from it, 1} the snow under the jeep melted and the driveway was almost dry to lay on and 2} I was actually toasty warm under my little xj clubhouse. I did have to put a little gap between the panels for fresh air circulation as the kerosene can get pretty strong and choke a man out. lol

Hey, it worked well.

TexasTaz38
texastaz38 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
BillyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 978
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

You can buy a torpedo cheap on CL. Most of the time if they're not working it's as easy as opening it up, cleaning it out, changing the spark plug and adding new kerosene.
BillyBoy is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 AM
  #8  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,789
Default

Originally Posted by texastaz38 View Post
I used one of those heaters while changing a transmission out of an xj one winter here. There was snow on the driveway and I simply placed some old plywood scraps around the perimeter of the jeep, essentially enclosing the underside of the jeep. i placed the torpedo nosed into the front center of the jeep pointed toward the rear. Two positive things came from it, 1} the snow under the jeep melted and the driveway was almost dry to lay on and 2} I was actually toasty warm under my little xj clubhouse. I did have to put a little gap between the panels for fresh air circulation as the kerosene can get pretty strong and choke a man out. lol

Hey, it worked well.

TexasTaz38
And that is what I wanted to hear.

Originally Posted by BillyBoy View Post
You can buy a torpedo cheap on CL. Most of the time if they're not working it's as easy as opening it up, cleaning it out, changing the spark plug and adding new kerosene.
They pop up all the time pretty cheap which is why I was considering this. Sometimes as cheap as $50. Thinking it might not be a bad idea to snag one just in case. I did forget that not all are propane. A kerosene one would
make it so I would not have to invest in a 20 lb tank. Which they usually don't have at the $50 price.
Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:49 AM
  #9  
awg
Seasoned Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 477
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker View Post
A good tip for the guys in the north who end up working on their Jeeps out in the cold:
move to Australia mate, shorts & singlet, get a suntan

awg is online now  
Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
BillyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 978
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
And that is what I wanted to hear.



They pop up all the time pretty cheap which is why I was considering this. Sometimes as cheap as $50. Thinking it might not be a bad idea to snag one just in case. I did forget that not all are propane. A kerosene one would
make it so I would not have to invest in a 20 lb tank. Which they usually don't have at the $50 price.
the trick is to look during the summer. Or ar Estate sales. Good luck brother. Stay warm
BillyBoy is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM
  #11  
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,789
Default

Thinking $80 really means $60. LOL.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/...819386378.html
Ralph77 is online now  
Old 02-14-2019, 02:43 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 605
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2
Default

I have a 2 car garage but even when it is -25c outside its about -8c in my shop. I got a 50,000 BTU bullet heater and it'll warm up the shop so you can wear t-shirts easily.
firebane is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Maureen F
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
1
08-28-2017 04:38 PM
mphilleo
Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here
1
11-29-2016 11:03 PM
xjheep92
North Atlantic
13
07-16-2012 12:43 PM
popcancherokee
Pacific Northwest
7
06-12-2012 05:34 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For all the cold-weather 'fixers' out there (at tip)


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: