Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

For all the cold-weather 'fixers' out there (at tip)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default For all the cold-weather 'fixers' out there (at tip)

A good tip for the guys in the north who end up working on their Jeeps out in the cold: Put a small electric heater inside. Even on the low setting it keeps the interior nice and toasty while you work (inside). I had to change my Jeep's heater core and I didn't want to bring it into the garage (afraid I might introduce mice to the house!). The heater made it nice and toasty inside. Also kept brittle plastics from breaking.

Last edited by Jeepwalker; 02-12-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

If you're working outside, the little toe warmer packs work pretty well.

I've been doing a lot of work in the basement/crawlspace at night (due to work and having small needy children) and after several nights of feeling like my toes were going to fall off from the cold I grabbed a couple of the toe warmers from the hardware store and they worked pretty damn well. I didn't realize how much time I was wasting running into the house to warm up until I wasn't having to do it. Well worth the $1.50 I spent on the toe warmers.

Last night I had a quick wiring fix I needed to do (I'd half-a'd it due to limited resources a few months back) and I was outside for not even 20 minutes and without any supplementary heat and my toes felt like they were going to fall off from the cold. And it wasn't even THAT bad - 20's/30's with no wind.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

All the stuff I do to my Jeep is done between about April and October. My only choice is to do this stuff outside.
After October my goal is to not have to touch the Jeep till the following April.
With the exception of having to do the CPS last February I have been fortunate.
Those propane torpedo heaters pop up on Craigslist from time to time. Sometimes as cheap as $50. No tank though.
I always toy with the idea of buying one and just running it outside should the need arise.
Wonder how long a 20 lb tank would last doing that. LOL.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Ralph77
All the stuff I do to my Jeep is done between about April and October. My only choice is to do this stuff outside.
After October my goal is to not have to touch the Jeep till the following April.
With the exception of having to do the CPS last February I have been fortunate.
Those propane torpedo heaters pop up on Craigslist from time to time. Sometimes as cheap as $50. No tank though.
I always toy with the idea of buying one and just running it outside should the need arise.
Wonder how long a 20 lb tank would last doing that. LOL.
I try to do the same as you, because I only drive my XJ in the Winter. But I swear every year I go to start driving it one or more problems pop up after it's sat all summer long. This year it was the hydraulic clutch assembly. Last year the radiator sprang a leak. It's always something, but that's half the fun.

Those torpedo heaters will flat run you out of a garage they get so warm. I used one in my 4 car tandem garage in the Winter when I lived in Indiana and I would have to cycle it on and off. Not sure how well they would do outside though. Haha
Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by robertj
I try to do the same as you, because I only drive my XJ in the Winter. But I swear every year I go to start driving it one or more problems pop up after it's sat all summer long. This year it was the hydraulic clutch assembly. Last year the radiator sprang a leak. It's always something, but that's half the fun.

Those torpedo heaters will flat run you out of a garage they get so warm. I used one in my 4 car tandem garage in the Winter when I lived in Indiana and I would have to cycle it on and off. Not sure how well they would do outside though. Haha
No my Jeep is my DD. All year round.
But yeah on those heaters. My friends father had one in his 2 car garage. Normal size garage. 10 minutes at full blast and you turned it off cause it was all it took to get the garage hot.
But outside thinking not so good. But if I have to be out there it would be better then nothing. LOL.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

I used one of those heaters while changing a transmission out of an xj one winter here. There was snow on the driveway and I simply placed some old plywood scraps around the perimeter of the jeep, essentially enclosing the underside of the jeep. i placed the torpedo nosed into the front center of the jeep pointed toward the rear. Two positive things came from it, 1} the snow under the jeep melted and the driveway was almost dry to lay on and 2} I was actually toasty warm under my little xj clubhouse. I did have to put a little gap between the panels for fresh air circulation as the kerosene can get pretty strong and choke a man out. lol

Hey, it worked well.

TexasTaz38
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

You can buy a torpedo cheap on CL. Most of the time if they're not working it's as easy as opening it up, cleaning it out, changing the spark plug and adding new kerosene.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by texastaz38
I used one of those heaters while changing a transmission out of an xj one winter here. There was snow on the driveway and I simply placed some old plywood scraps around the perimeter of the jeep, essentially enclosing the underside of the jeep. i placed the torpedo nosed into the front center of the jeep pointed toward the rear. Two positive things came from it, 1} the snow under the jeep melted and the driveway was almost dry to lay on and 2} I was actually toasty warm under my little xj clubhouse. I did have to put a little gap between the panels for fresh air circulation as the kerosene can get pretty strong and choke a man out. lol

Hey, it worked well.

TexasTaz38
And that is what I wanted to hear.

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
You can buy a torpedo cheap on CL. Most of the time if they're not working it's as easy as opening it up, cleaning it out, changing the spark plug and adding new kerosene.
They pop up all the time pretty cheap which is why I was considering this. Sometimes as cheap as $50. Thinking it might not be a bad idea to snag one just in case. I did forget that not all are propane. A kerosene one would
make it so I would not have to invest in a 20 lb tank. Which they usually don't have at the $50 price.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:49 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by Jeepwalker
A good tip for the guys in the north who end up working on their Jeeps out in the cold:
move to Australia mate, shorts & singlet, get a suntan

Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph77
And that is what I wanted to hear.

They pop up all the time pretty cheap which is why I was considering this. Sometimes as cheap as $50. Thinking it might not be a bad idea to snag one just in case. I did forget that not all are propane. A kerosene one would
make it so I would not have to invest in a 20 lb tank. Which they usually don't have at the $50 price.
the trick is to look during the summer. Or ar Estate sales. Good luck brother. Stay warm
Old 02-14-2019, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Thinking $80 really means $60. LOL.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/...819386378.html
Old 02-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

I have a 2 car garage but even when it is -25c outside its about -8c in my shop. I got a 50,000 BTU bullet heater and it'll warm up the shop so you can wear t-shirts easily.