Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Airbag light on, horn not working cruise not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Airbag light on, horn not working cruise not working

1999 xj, reman engine, new exhaust. I do not remember if these issues were there before now. I had just bought it and it has been in the shop ever since for the new parts.

So I tried the jump of the horn and the horn works fine direct from the bat.

The cruise is after market I do believe as it is a single stick on left side of steering column.

Airbag light on on panel.

Now where the horn is supposed to to be pressed, it feels as if there is nothing there. So my first thought is that the clock spring is inop. However, with the aftermarket cruise, should I check anything else before tearing into the steering column? And if it is the clock spring, with an aftermarket cruise, should the new clock spring be with, or without cruise, ( I have never taken apart the column and worked on a clock spring.). Just want to make sure that since the cruise is not on front of steering wheel if that makes a difference?

thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 03:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Clock spring. Not sure about your aftermarket CC but if all of this happened at once then I'm guessing the bad clock spring is somehow linked to your after market cruise and should be replaced with a clock spring that is identical to the one that has failed.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cl...t-98-a-105568/
Old 12-21-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that your aftermarket CC is connected with the clockspring. Have a look where the cables to the CC go! You don't say if the CC still works. If yes, it seems not to be connected to the clockspring, but the two failures (air bag light and horn) exactly show the clockspring problem. If you follow F1Addict's link it's easy to change the clockspring!
Cheers from Germany
Michael
Old 12-21-2015, 11:23 AM

Thanks you guys. I am having the xj painted, and the shop said they would run a code. Will the clock spring failure show up on a code? As for the cc, as I have not opened up the steering column yet to see where the cc wires lead to, I was just hope that a cc stick on the left side of the column, someone might know if the clock spring would be connected to it. I say it is aftermarket, as I thought all 1999 cc came on the steering wheel front face. It would save time in the XJ being down and ordering a new clock spring.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 AM

Hi, I don't think there's a code showing clockspring failure. As the OEM CC is on the steering wheel, it's logical that it is fed by the clockspring circle. With an aftermarket CC this would make no sense. You still didn't say if the CC works! If yes, that shows that it is NOT fed by the clockspring.
Cheers
Michael
Old 12-22-2015, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000

I agree to all the above, it's prob the clockspring. It's pretty easy to test with a voltmeter/continuity tester.

On a side note I have dozens of OEM cruise components for 97+: buttons for 97-98 & 99-01, clocksprings for both cruise and non cruise, and servos) all tested and functional. If you need anything let me know we can work out a price!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2000CHERO
I agree to all the above, it's prob the clockspring. It's pretty easy to test with a voltmeter/continuity tester.

On a side note I have dozens of OEM cruise components for 97+: buttons for 97-98 & 99-01, clocksprings for both cruise and non cruise, and servos) all tested and functional. If you need anything let me know we can work out a price!
Thank for the reply. As stated in title, cc doesn't work. When I get car back from paint shop, I will give you a shout for a clock spring. What do you charge for them?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 PM

Year: 1998

Had all those same issues, bought used clockspring (with warranty), rented steering wheel puller, changed it in about 30 mins, start to finish. All 3 work again. I paid 50 bucks on ebay. Make sure you get one with cruise, and if buying used, make sure theres a warranty from seller

Last edited by Colnajoe; 12-22-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: oops
Old 12-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by senoiaslim
Thank for the reply. As stated in title, cc doesn't work. When I get car back from paint shop, I will give you a shout for a clock spring. What do you charge for them?
Price is usually $60-65 shipped for a CRUISE CS depending on location. Mine are completely tested, cleaned, and centered; I have seen some listings on eBay selling them as well and most make no mention of this. I don't have a "warranty" policy but if anything comes up in a month or 2 I got you covered, obviously I want you to have a working clockspring.

And those private sellers selling them on eBay may have a warranty, but returning stuff on eBay is not what it used to be, I usually just keep the item I bought.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Ok, I just put a new clock spring in. The airbag light is now out. However, the horn and cruise control still do not work. As in the post above. Horn works at the horn. The cruise control was after market. The old clock spring did not have the cruise control wire. I put a clock spring that has the wire, I also installed the switches on the steering wheel. I did not disconnect the after market cruise control wire that came from the switch handle that was mounted on the steering console side area. So where would you begin trouble shooting this? New engine installed, and I have not checked fuses yet but I will. thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Banned

Def check all the fuses. But if horn works at horn, and CC and horn aren't working, I'm going to say it's still your clockspring. Or whatever aftermarket part you have. What mix of aftermarket stuff do you have? I'm a little confused by that. OEM stuff is cheap; clockspring, buttons, and servo. That's all you need to get cruise working. Even if the jeep came from the factory without cruise all the wiring and provisions are there for it and it is unlikely they are damaged, all you need are those three things.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2000CHERO
Def check all the fuses. But if horn works at horn, and CC and horn aren't working, I'm going to say it's still your clockspring. Or whatever aftermarket part you have. What mix of aftermarket stuff do you have? I'm a little confused by that. OEM stuff is cheap; clockspring, buttons, and servo. That's all you need to get cruise working. Even if the jeep came from the factory without cruise all the wiring and provisions are there for it and it is unlikely they are damaged, all you need are those three things.
I have to agree with you. I bought the xj with the after market cruise. so I do not know what brand. The clockspring was a used oem unit. The dealer said it checked out before he shipped it. It look and felt in good shape when I centered it.

It may be a couple of issues. One I did not disconnect the old switches of the cruise in the steering column. As the old switches for the cruise was not hooked up to the clockspring. The wires are running into the console. My new clockspring came with the cruise wire. I bought the steering switches and installed them when I had the steering wheel off to fix the clockspring. As for the horn, the air bag feels like it is not firm enough to push the horn. It has been a while since I owned an xj, so I don't know if that is normal. Is there a way to test the airbag switch for the horn in that unit? One other thing.....I have the radio out and those harnesses are not connected...if that makes a difference
thanks

Last edited by senoiaslim; 01-12-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:21 AM

As for the horn, the air bag feels like it is not firm enough to push the horn
The airbag itself has nothing to do with the horn. There is some kind of flexible metal inside the steering wheel centre which makes the contact. You can check the horn when the steering wheel is off by holding the horn cable to ground, the horn must give a signal. By the way: Does the horn give a short signal when you lock the car with the remote key?

I did not disconnect the old switches of the cruise in the steering column
You should disconnect them because two systems (aftermarket AND OEM) may confuse everything. I'm not sure if cruise control just works when connecting the steering wheel switches. Maybe the central electronic system must be taught to accept this...
The radio harnesses shouldn't have to do anything with your clockspring problems.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Banned

Yes the tape is inside the clock spring. It's the "wiring" for the cruise switches, horn, and airbag.

And maybe I just can't read what you wrote properly, which is probably the case, but I'm still confused about what is OEM and what isn't in your setup.

Regardless, take out everything that's not OEM, and let us know what's left.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:15 AM

If you placed a clockspring with cruise control, there are three wires, the one in the middle is for the airbag module, one of the two others is for the horn and one for cruise control. As I mentioned above you can test the horn by holding the wire to ground.

Quick Reply: Airbag light on, horn not working cruise not working