Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Air Raid TBS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Air Raid TBS

Was thinking about purchasing an Air Raid Poweraid throttle body spacer for my 00 sport..Any one have any knowledge or experience with this product and if its worth the money or any better brand?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

You're opening up a can of worms my friend. There is a ton of debate on throttle body spacers and if they actually do anything or if they just make the engine look pretty. Some claim that they have seen power and MPG improvements while others say that there is science behind them not making any difference at all.

In my opinion, you would be better off buying a bored throttle body. Basically what happens is that the throttle body is bored out so that the diameter of the throttle body is larger, creating more airflow into the intake manifold and creating more power. I think this would be a better investment than a throttle body spacer. But it's entirely up to you! Check out this thread though, and if you decide you want to go the route of a bored TB, hit up the guy with the user name Thexjfiles.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f11/bo...le-body-77044/
Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a tb spacer, not sure about any difference in mpg or horsepower, but it sounds cool
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Was just kicking up the idear...thought with a little more space in the throttle body would give a little more low end ...specially when it will be tied into my afe intake
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by fourx4redneck01
Was thinking about purchasing an Air Raid Poweraid throttle body spacer for my 00 sport..Any one have any knowledge or experience with this product and if its worth the money or any better brand?
They are fun to play with and you get that cool whistling sound, like a turbo, but I'm not convinced that I get more power out of '01. Get the cheapest one you can find cut out of a block of aluminum off of ebay. Ignore the fancy patterns cut into the bore, you're basically trying to increase the air volume going into the throttle body, the wacky patterns to mix the flow are a marketing gimmick.

I got better value out of basic maintenance (new fluids, copper plugs, dino oil, upper O2 sensors, clean the throttle body, new air filter-maybe a cheap cone, clean AIT sensor, new exhaust-maybe better flowing, etc.)

Have fun.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
You're opening up a can of worms my friend. There is a ton of debate on throttle body spacers and if they actually do anything or if they just make the engine look pretty. Some claim that they have seen power and MPG improvements while others say that there is science behind them not making any difference at all.

In my opinion, you would be better off buying a bored throttle body. Basically what happens is that the throttle body is bored out so that the diameter of the throttle body is larger, creating more airflow into the intake manifold and creating more power. I think this would be a better investment than a throttle body spacer. But it's entirely up to you! Check out this thread though, and if you decide you want to go the route of a bored TB, hit up the guy with the user name Thexjfiles.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f11/bo...le-body-77044/
Probably true, you have $30 plus in a spacer
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

If you want more low end, you want a wider throttle body, not a taller one. See my earlier post for my suggestion