Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Air Compressor Wiring Cut!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Air Compressor Wiring Cut!!!

Hey guys, I am replacing my problem ac compressor and I noticed that the wire coming out of it, directly splices with the wires from the harness. I cut that sucker loose. But I noticed that my new compressor come with a connector.

What do do I do? Should I just cut the new connector off and splice them together? Is there a preferred method to splice?

Im and electrical dummy, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

99 Cherokee 6cyl 4.0
Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I assume that the wires mentioned are 2 wires that lead to the magnetic compressor clutch coil? It would be rare for that to be directly wired into a harness without a connector. Is it possible that it was replaced before in the distant past, and someone spliced it directly because they didn't have the right type of connector?

The coil won't care if its electricity came to it via a connector or not. But what is important is that you know which wires to splice together. If it is a basic 2-wire setup to the compressor, you should be able to test the harness side to determine which is positive and which is ground (using a multimeter). The positive voltage will likely only be present if the vehicle has the AC on and the AC compressor relay is activated. But you will also need something to tell you which wire is which on the compressor coil (did it come with any documents or diagrams showing the pinout for the connector?).

If you can find the corresponding connector, perhaps even from a junkyard if in good condition, it would be ideal to splice that on and then have a connector. Otherwise you'll have to cut and re-splice any time that component is serviced or needs to be moved out of the way for some other job.

Last edited by jordan96xj; 02-08-2018 at 11:55 PM.