Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Air Bag removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Air Bag removal

Please forgive me if this has been covered already, but I looked around, did some advanced searches, but couldn't find anything on this and I'm usually the dolt that asks questions on car forums that have already been extensively covered, causing some mean moderator to holler at me (but this seems like a kinder, gentler kinda forum)...That said, I have a 95 Cherokee with an air bag wheel that's seen better days, so I found a good wheel at my local bone yard (has anyone else noticed that the Cash For Clunkers program is responsible for killing LOTS of Cherokees?). Anyway, I'm trying to get my old air bag out to remove the steering wheel, but I've run into a problem with the 2 upper nuts. The 2 bottom ones came out easy, but the top 2 seem to have some plastic tab or something covering the nuts. With a mirror I can see the bag bolts protruding thru some kinda plastic deal, kinda like covering the top half of the hole in the back, with just a little of the bolt coming thru. My 93 Grand has the exact same wheel, but I can get a socket on all 4 nuts very easily, but the 95 is totally different for the top two nuts. Anybody else run into this?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:15 PM

OK, I guess I figured it out...There's a removable plug on the top that hides a small machine screw. Turning the screw causes the plastic deal to raise up which makes it easy to access the 2 upper nuts on the airbag with a 10mm socket, then the bag comes right off. Not sure why the Jeep folks decided to do that, sounds kinda dumb to me...Anyway, there ya go...
Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM

Does your "handle" on here have anything to do with salt water?
Bob
Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Glad to see you figured out the airbag problem! I just wanted to comment on your Cash for clunkers question. Yeah I noticed as well that a bunch of near perfect stock Cherokees are showing up at the local JY with nothing wrong other than a siezed engine. Not a bad thing for us guys needin parts if you get there on the right day, but it still sucks looking at a Cherokee and knowing it was murdered.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by jusolbob
Does your "handle" on here have anything to do with salt water?
Bob
Yep...Big and black and don't come back. My name is Guy and it's a number I can't forget... Are you a "club member" too?
Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
I just wanted to comment on your Cash for clunkers question. Yeah I noticed as well that a bunch of near perfect stock Cherokees are showing up at the local JY with nothing wrong other than a siezed engine. Not a bad thing for us guys needin parts if you get there on the right day, but it still sucks looking at a Cherokee and knowing it was murdered.
I go to a chain yard called Pull A Part and the one in Atlanta had almost 30 of them yesterday! You can check their website and see what years they have and when they arrived, it's pretty cool. You pull what you want and the prices are really cheap. I went a few weeks ago, but they got 2 more 95's this week so I went again. Before we bought my wife's 2001, we saw a beautiful sliver 2000 there that my wife said she'd gladly pay more than $4,500 for it...Very sad...
Old 11-08-2009, 09:25 PM

Sure am! 346; 419; 408; 341; 425 Thanks for your service!

machen40@yahoo.com

Bob
Old 11-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5 liter

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
Glad to see you figured out the airbag problem! I just wanted to comment on your Cash for clunkers question. Yeah I noticed as well that a bunch of near perfect stock Cherokees are showing up at the local JY with nothing wrong other than a siezed engine. Not a bad thing for us guys needin parts if you get there on the right day, but it still sucks looking at a Cherokee and knowing it was murdered.
at our wrecking place they have so many cherokees they have them stacked 2 high along the back wall... it looks like they made a structure of cherokee 'bricks' most of them look fine, some of thems paint is still glossy) stupid govt funded poorly thought out scheme....but.... more parts for meeEEEeee