Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Advice? Bumper bent after wreck

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Advice? Bumper bent after wreck

My XJ was in a wreck a bit before I got, and the bumper is obviously bent inwards on the driver side, probably 1' 1/2, or 2', comparing it to the passenger side, which hangs out an inch or so past the headlight housing, where as on the driver side it's about an inch or less behind the housing.

The plastic air dam looks to be easily removable, and I plan on trashing it as it's broken in multiple areas.

Is this bumper repairable, maybe take it off and beat it straight with an assortment of hammers? It doesn't seem to be a huge problem, but I'm thinking about removing the driver side fender to bend it out a bit near the door since it's bent in and makes the door not open quite as far as it should, and bends more and more whenever I open the door too far, and figured it would be a good time to try and get the bumper off while I'm already working on other parts.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd take a long hard look at the drivers side frame rail.......
Old 10-20-2014, 11:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

^What he said^
Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 PM

I've checked a few times and a real long look just now and I can't see anything that I would assume is bad, no cracking, buckling or bending.

Also, the jeep has been a daily driver for the past 3-4 years after said wreck.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: l6

Originally Posted by Sebastianc2012
My XJ was in a wreck a bit before I got, and the bumper is obviously bent inwards on the driver side, probably 1' 1/2, or 2', comparing it to the passenger side, which hangs out an inch or so past the headlight housing, where as on the driver side it's about an inch or less behind the housing.

The plastic air dam looks to be easily removable, and I plan on trashing it as it's broken in multiple areas.

Is this bumper repairable, maybe take it off and beat it straight with an assortment of hammers? It doesn't seem to be a huge problem, but I'm thinking about removing the driver side fender to bend it out a bit near the door since it's bent in and makes the door not open quite as far as it should, and bends more and more whenever I open the door too far, and figured it would be a good time to try and get the bumper off while I'm already working on other parts.
If you're taking the plastic off, hook a chain to it, and hook it to something that'll hold. Slowly go backwards with someone else watching the bumper until it's "straight" (that's what I'd do) as for the door. I wouldn't think that little bumper bender would tweak the fender. I'd open the door and adjust the torques screws on the door brackets. (Research it before you do, you may never get it lined back up). If your door started to sag for unknown reasons, it won't line up with your fender and other body lines.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by JamDeeper
If you're taking the plastic off, hook a chain to it, and hook it to something that'll hold. Slowly go backwards with someone else watching the bumper until it's "straight" (that's what I'd do) as for the door. I wouldn't think that little bumper bender would tweak the fender. I'd open the door and adjust the torques screws on the door brackets. (Research it before you do, you may never get it lined back up). If your door started to sag for unknown reasons, it won't line up with your fender and other body lines.
I might try this, but is it possible to pull some other things out of place while doing that?

Also, the fender is bent in from someone throwing the door open, and bent the fender next to the door in, I was contemplating takin the entire fender off, and hammering it out, and I figured it would be a good time to try and fix the bumper.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: l6

Originally Posted by Sebastianc2012

I might try this, but is it possible to pull some other things out of place while doing that?

Also, the fender is bent in from someone throwing the door open, and bent the fender next to the door in, I was contemplating takin the entire fender off, and hammering it out, and I figured it would be a good time to try and fix the bumper.
Don't dukes of hazard it in reverse. Nice and slow, it won't take much. There aren't any wires behind the edge of the bumper where you'd hook a chain.. take a look.

I see what you mean now. And I think I still stick to my thought of a misaligned door. I once took my doors off (brackets and all) and when I put it back on. They were too far forward, making it possible to catch the fender when opening it. You can try and pull the fender out, but I think you'll have the same result when you open the door the first time. The hinges shouldn't allow your door to open that far. Unless it was he-manned? Or you door checked a passing biker ha ha
Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JamDeeper
Don't dukes of hazard it in reverse. Nice and slow, it won't take much. There aren't any wires behind the edge of the bumper where you'd hook a chain.. take a look.

I see what you mean now. And I think I still stick to my thought of a misaligned door. I once took my doors off (brackets and all) and when I put it back on. They were too far forward, making it possible to catch the fender when opening it. You can try and pull the fender out, but I think you'll have the same result when you open the door the first time. The hinges shouldn't allow your door to open that far. Unless it was he-manned? Or you door checked a passing biker ha ha

This was actually my doing, was trying to grab something from the passenger seat, but didnt want to walk around, so while laying over the center console the door kept shutting onto my leg, and I'd keep pushing it out with my foot, and it came back once and clipped my shin real bad, and out of rage I throw the door open with my foot, cause this.

It was perfectly fine before, and I certainly made it worse over the past few weeks of just regularly opening the door.

I'll have to try the chain method, but, I'm not sure what else I have that would hold it.