Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adding weight..lots of it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default Adding weight..lots of it?

Noob Here!
I want to stay in the 3-3.5" lift range b/c i would "like" (if possible) to stay away from SYE at least @ this time. Also i really want to stay in the 31" tire range. I also want to add a
winch bumper (80#)
winch (about 80#s)
rear bumper w/tire carrier (115#'s)
Sliders (80#'s)
Also other Misc skids, not to mention all the weight inside and the passengers.

So...if i went with a 3" lift like a Rusty's or RC will i be at more like 1.5-2" range after adding all the weight? If so, can i just put spacers and shakles?
Thanks

Last edited by DrRandy; 12-23-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling errors, remove unneeded info
Old 12-23-2008, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

yes you can spacer and shakle it.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by finneys98xj
yes you can spacer and shakle it.
Thanks man...you think i'll drop 1" - 1.5" with that weight? Guess what i asking is will the spacers/shakles be neccessary?

Last edited by DrRandy; 12-23-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6
Default when

yes it will lower u cuz when i chopped my top it lifted my jeep. Imagine when i chop it to the floors and cage it.

Last edited by wicked_xj; 12-23-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by wicked_xj
yes it will lower u cuz when i chopped my top it lifted my jeep. Imagine when i chop it to the floors and cage it.
Would it be smarter to go with a 4" - 4.5" lift then insteed of spacers and shakles?? If i went with the spacer & shakle (on a 3" lift) method would i still be looking at SYE just like a normal 4 - 4.5"??
THANKS!!

Last edited by DrRandy; 12-23-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:46 PM

Bump
Old 12-24-2008, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

If you're going with 31's, 3" should be plenty, especially with a little flare chopping. I wouldn't worry too much about how high you sit, just need enough to clear the tires. The rest lies in the flex and armor.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by DrRandy
Would it be smarter to go with a 4" - 4.5" lift then insteed of spacers and shakles?? If i went with the spacer & shakle (on a 3" lift) method would i still be looking at SYE just like a normal 4 - 4.5"??
THANKS!!
If I am not mistaken some of the taller lifts use spacers/ shackles. So the choice is yours really.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Metmknice
If I am not mistaken some of the taller lifts use spacers/ shackles. So the choice is yours really.
Generally for 4" of lift, you will need an SYE, regardless of the style of lift. Depends on if you get vibes from the driveline.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by DrRandy
Noob Here!
I want to stay in the 3-3.5" lift range b/c i would "like" (if possible) to stay away from SYE at least @ this time. Also i really want to stay in the 31" tire range. I also want to add a
winch bumper (80#)
winch (about 80#s)
rear bumper w/tire carrier (115#'s)
Sliders (80#'s)
Also other Misc skids, not to mention all the weight inside and the passengers.

So...if i went with a 3" lift like a Rusty's or RC will i be at more like 1.5-2" range after adding all the weight? If so, can i just put spacers and shakles?
Thanks
I will start by saying stay away from Rusty's. Rough Country springs are pretty stiff so I doubt seriously you will lose that much with a winch bumper and tire carrier.

If you have the 231 t-case you will need something for any lift above 2 inches are you will have vibes, I reccm RE hack and tap.

Why spend money on lifting your vehicle then doing a T- case drop... never made much sense to me since you are trying to achieve ground clearance by lifting your vehicle.

If you notice any sag after the 3in lift yes spacers and shackles would be the best way to compensate.

Instead of spending all the money on bumpers and what not. IMO get your skids they are important and spend the money on beefing up your axles with new gears and a locker. Then your truck will be more ready for the extra weight. Worry about durability first then Looks. HTH
Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
I will start by saying stay away from Rusty's. Rough Country springs are pretty stiff so I doubt seriously you will lose that much with a winch bumper and tire carrier.

If you have the 231 t-case you will need something for any lift above 2 inches are you will have vibes, I reccm RE hack and tap.

Why spend money on lifting your vehicle then doing a T- case drop... never made much sense to me since you are trying to achieve ground clearance by lifting your vehicle.

If you notice any sag after the 3in lift yes spacers and shackles would be the best way to compensate.

Instead of spending all the money on bumpers and what not. IMO get your skids they are important and spend the money on beefing up your axles with new gears and a locker. Then your truck will be more ready for the extra weight. Worry about durability first then Looks. HTH
x2 on the armor bit, this forum really has helped me realign my sense of what I'm doing. As for the 3" lift, get a full leaf kit, and then you can add the parent leaf from your old XJ leaves (grind off the eyes) to stiffen up the rear end.

Yeah, sure, you could put the thing 20" in the air...or you could turtle the bottom of your vehicle and be able to drag, bump, and grind over every rock in your way on a little 3" lift.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I have a story to share with you that may sway your decision. I started my lift with a Rusty's full 4.5" lift kit. When the lift was installed I found that the rear sat slightly higher than the front. The rear springs gave a bit more lift than advertised. I figured fine it all would settle and get level. Well, I added a front bumper, winch, rock sliders and rear tire carrier with a 32" tire. Now the front end really sat lower than the rear. While searching the internet I found the Daystar Budget Boost from Rocky Road Outfitters. It is a 1 3/4" front spring spacer and a 1" lift rear shackle. I added the BB and now the XJ sits level at about 6" of lift. So, this 1 3/4" front and 1" rear budget boost may help you out, too.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 AM

Guys
Thanks for all your input. What i'm shooting for is a good all around trial rig. Not a crawler but someting more to have fun on the trails with. I dont really want to spend all the $$ on gears, etc. I'm of course running stock now... D30/D35, thats another reason i would like to stay around 31's or so. SO if i put a good amount of armor underside is this going to "kill" me b/c of the weight?? The tire carrier/rear bumper is more for getting the tire OUT of the cab for the needed room not really for looks....it will look pretty dam cool though!! Although the front winch bumper and winch is just needed!!! As you all know!
XJStryker i have read a TON of your posts and thanks for the info you provide to us all. It sounds like your telling me IF i add all this weight (bumpers/tire carrier, sliders, armor, winch, and bigger tires) i'll be pretty close the "maxing" out the capicity of the stock equipment i'm looking to keep. Is this correct???
BTW it is an NP231
Again thanks to all of you for your input!!!