Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC Compressor Replacement Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 03:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default AC Compressor Replacement Questions..

The bearing in my ac compressor went so I'm replacing it and I have a few questions. I have the new one installed but am not sure if I can drive it to the shop to pull a vac on the system for an hour.
My first question is that can I safely drive it 2 miles down the road to the shop or should I fill it with oil first? If so what oil does it take and how much? (is it pag100 oil?)?
Second question is that is it necessary to replace the accumulator and or the condenser with the compressor??
3rd, do i really need to pull a vac on it in order to drive her daily??

Thanks to all that reply!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by SeniorXJ
The bearing in my ac compressor went so I'm replacing it and I have a few questions. I have the new one installed but am not sure if I can drive it to the shop to pull a vac on the system for an hour.
My first question is that can I safely drive it 2 miles down the road to the shop or should I fill it with oil first? If so what oil does it take and how much? (is it pag100 oil?)?
Second question is that is it necessary to replace the accumulator and or the condenser with the compressor??
3rd, do i really need to pull a vac on it in order to drive her daily??

Thanks to all that reply!
Blow out the lines and the evaporator and condensor. You can drive it as much as you like as long as you don't put juice to the clutch. I would just leave the wire to the clutch unplugged until you are ready to charge it at the shop that way there is no accidental engagement. If the the low pressure switch system is all working right it shouldn't engage anyhow, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. Until the clutch is engaged the pulley and pulley bearing are just freewheeling like an idler pulley.

(Aim your exit hoses when blowing it out, it's going to throw oil. lol)