Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 xj woes

Old 04-23-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 99 xj woes

Purchased used stock 99 Cherokee Sport 4x4 Mar 11 with 151,292 on it. Previously I've always drove Toyota’s and Subaru’s, but got Jeep due to economy, retirement, and lease on Subaru was up. PO of Jeep did no normal maintenance from what I saw, and it had the infamous DW between 48-52 MPH. Had upper & lower BJ’s, both sides replaced (bad), assistance installing track bar, & shock got new BFG AT’s all round, and a good alignment afterwards. All suspension parts were Moog. Jeep always wandered in lane. DW came back after 9500 miles, so had gear box replaced (sector shaft bad), & both hubs. Gas mileage is between 13-15 city, and 17-19 highway. Replaced (new) 4 shocks, both leafs, bushings on front sway bar links, all fluids, trans kit, both diffs, oil sending unit, rotors and pads (all cracked), and major tune up. The other day, it was pointed out that wires to O2 sensor were frayed as they had touched manifold. Routed wiring next to power steering pump to prevent from touching manifold. CE has never come on previously. Next morning CE light came on, and has stayed on. Was also told upstream O2 sensor was probably toast as wiring had shorted it out. Got sensor from NAPA & had stealership install, and soldered wiring, putting heat shrink to prevent any further problems, and wrapped. They also rerouted wires to prevent any touching of manifold; got wiring from sensor to where it was soldered from jy. CE light came back about 5 miles from stealership who said sensor was probably defective from NAPA. Purchased another, and had it installed and wiring resoldered and wrapped. NAPA was upset stealership said sensor was bad, but will refund when senor returned. Today Advance Auto manager diagnosed codes 0132, 0135, and 0138. He cleared the codes, but I want to correct the problem. I’m totally in the dark as to what to do and no longer trust stealership to do any further work, but my mechanical, troubleshooting abilities are limited. Only thing I’ve done, with assistance, was TB, shocks, fluid changes, rotors, pads, bushings, and tune up. Other than sensor, and wiring soldering, Jeep now drives solid, and DW is gone till something else goes bad. Need solid advice, not guesses. I live in Colorado Springs, so if anyone nearby with abilities can assist, I can use the help.

apw5746

PS: Service rep from stealership just called and wanted to know when I could come in and leave the car. Told him I was hesitant due to finances, and the fact the Jeep is my daily driver, and at the moment the only vehicle I have.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 PM

65 looks, and no advice?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Google the codes the all mighty google will tell you what they are
Old 04-24-2012, 05:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine: 4.0

In the power distribution center (the black box under the hood on the passenger side) there is a fuse for the "heater circuit" of your oxygen sensors.

Check to ensure you don't have a blown fuse.

Can't remember the exact location of the fuse but I know for certain that it is a 15 amp mini fuse. So check ALL of the 15 amp mini fuses. Only takes a minute.

If that fuse is blown, you can get mysterious oxygen sensor codes, and one of your code is for the "heater" circuit.

Not saying that is what your problem is, but it certainly must be ruled in or out ASAP.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Here's a pic of the O2S heater fuse location that tjwalker referred to:

Name:  9899XJPDC-1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  87.8 KB
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 AM

tjwalker & CCKen,

Thank you both. The fuse was blown, and replaced. Sounds stupid, but in all my years of driving, 50+, I've never had fuse blow. As mentioned, Advance Auto cleared the codes, but when I filled up prior to heading to Denver, the CE light came back on, about 11 miles. Hopefully this is the answer, and I can be on my way. Should the CE come on again, and I get the same codes, at least I can do a fast fix. I will call the stealership and ask why they never performed this simple task.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

apw5746,

I see your a 24 year USAF Vet. What was your AFSC? I was a 43151A.

It may be helpful if you go to a NAPA store and get a 15 Amp (self resetting) circuit breaker and put it in that O2S heater mini fuse spot. The CB will self-reset after tripping. A 15 Amp CB for the IOD fuse as well wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by apw5746
tjwalker & CCKen,

Thank you both. The fuse was blown, and replaced. Sounds stupid, but in all my years of driving, 50+, I've never had fuse blow. As mentioned, Advance Auto cleared the codes, but when I filled up prior to heading to Denver, the CE light came back on, about 11 miles. Hopefully this is the answer, and I can be on my way. Should the CE come on again, and I get the same codes, at least I can do a fast fix. I will call the stealership and ask why they never performed this simple task.
Glad CCKen and I could help. Never hurts to have a wingman like Ken! Good followup suggestions from Ken as well.

There is a very good chance that it was the oxygen sensor wiring problem (frayed wires shorting out) that you already repaired that caused this fuse to blow. Keep an eye on it and of course watch for codes, but it is likely that this is not going to be an issue again in the future.

Last edited by tjwalker; 04-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
apw5746,

I see your a 24 year USAF Vet. What was your AFSC? I was a 43151A.

It may be helpful if you go to a NAPA store and get a 15 Amp (self resetting) circuit breaker and put it in that O2S heater mini fuse spot. The CB will self-reset after tripping. A 15 Amp CB for the IOD fuse as well wouldn't hurt.
73290 & 67290 Personnel & Finance weenie. Will do on the 15 Amp thing. Thanks again
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM

Remember, the Stealership will only do the work you request. If you give them a blank check, they start at the most expensive, and work their way down. (driving up profits)
Get a Chiltons, and learn your Jeep, as it will save you money in the long run.

US Navy, AZ3
Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Phantom1
Remember, the Stealership will only do the work you request. If you give them a blank check, they start at the most expensive, and work their way down. (driving up profits)
Get a Chiltons, and learn your Jeep, as it will save you money in the long run.

US Navy, AZ3
I agree with the money issue. The stealership reminds me of a government contractor. Unlike military professionals, who do their job and more, contractors only do what's necessary and nothing more. By trial and error, I'm learning about my Jeep in order to save myself, like you say, money! I want to thank all of you for your input.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Phantom1;US Navy, AZ3

Sorry, I didn't know.

Last edited by CCKen; 04-25-2012 at 04:04 PM.