Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ Vacuum line set up.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 XJ Vacuum line set up.

wondering if anyone with a 99 Cherokee xj can snap a few photos of the vacuum system. How how it plugs into the intake manifold and things like that. also the area int he back of the engine. Mine rotted out and the brittle lines snapped. I thought I had it hooked up right, but now it takes my vents a very long time to change vent settings inside the car. I think one of the vacuum ports on the manifold was blocked off with a rubber cap.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I can help you out in the morning if someone doesn't post before than. I don't have cruise control, so mine will look different if your XJ does.

When I bought my XJ the air only flowed out through the defrost, which is the default when no vacuum exists. There was a T-fitting disconnected on the pax side of the engine bay. Fixed it right up when I connected it.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:11 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
wondering if anyone with a 99 Cherokee xj can snap a few photos of the vacuum system. How how it plugs into the intake manifold and things like that. also the area int he back of the engine. Mine rotted out and the brittle lines snapped. I thought I had it hooked up right, but now it takes my vents a very long time to change vent settings inside the car. I think one of the vacuum ports on the manifold was blocked off with a rubber cap.
Here:
Attached Thumbnails 99 XJ Vacuum line set up.-vac-ball-routing.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I hope you have your problem fixed at this point, but here are a few pics from the manifold and the firewall area.

Trace the 3 lines coming off the intake manifold on the driver's side. One of those feeds to your HVAC controls. The others go to the reservoir as posted by cruiser54 and the evap system on the pax side of the engine bay near the firewall. Might want to use an old fashioned vacuum gauge to see if you got a leak. Could also be a bad one way valve.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the help. Project took a back seat and and with broken vacuum lines it was kinda hard to just pick it up again without some questions.