Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 Jeep Cherokee Sport window and headunit problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport window and headunit problem

OK guys.. quick new question .. when the ignition is off and key is out can you still roll the window down? my jeep xj has power windows and can and I worry about batter drain..

which brings me to my next problem.. when they keys are out of the ignition the pioneer CD player that is in the car won't turn off.. could it be the previous owner installed it wrong and messed up the ignition and power wires??

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by willdc10
OK guys.. quick new question .. when the ignition is off and key is out can you still roll the window down? my jeep xj has power windows and can and I worry about batter drain..

which brings me to my next problem.. when they keys are out of the ignition the pioneer CD player that is in the car won't turn off.. could it be the previous owner installed it wrong and messed up the ignition and power wires??

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
My jeep does this from time to time. It has to do with the ignition cylinder rotating too far back before it lets the key out. Basically it's releasing the key while in the accessory position.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

What Zombie said, which is a common issue. My jeep lets the key go even when it's in the ON possition.

Or, the previous owner did some homebrew wiring and screwed it up, tying a constant live wire into the wrong slot in the fuseblock and causing all "Switched" slots to always have power. Switched slots meaning they are controlled by the Jeeps ignition switch (AKA Key). If this is the case, I can't help lol.

A temporary fix would be to pull the main fuse for the fuseblock when you park it, so it doesn't drain the battery. It's in the engine relay and fuse box under the hood, should be a 40 amp fuse. Only downside is then the Radio looses all power and forgets its settings.

Last edited by 1976Mustang; 09-11-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response!

So if I check the wiring for the head unit and it turns out to be good the fix would be to get a new ignition?? Trying to fix it right since she is the dd ..