Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 Jeep Cherokee Sport-door lock problem-HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport-door lock problem-HELP

Just when I thought everything electrical was ironed out I realized yesterday that my remote wasn't working from the key fob to lock the doors. I tried manually (switch on door) to unlock all the doors and that also failed. Any idea what could be the problem? I guess that's the fun of owning a Jeep trying to guess the next "issue". I'm sure it's something minor. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by LWechterPA
Just when I thought everything electrical was ironed out I realized yesterday that my remote wasn't working from the key fob to lock the doors. I tried manually (switch on door) to unlock all the doors and that also failed. Any idea what could be the problem? I guess that's the fun of owning a Jeep trying to guess the next "issue". I'm sure it's something minor. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was. I have been having a similar problem from the driver side front door locks on my 98 classic. Wont even lock manually unless I pull the door panel off. Pull on the operating rod with the panel off and it moves freely put everything back together and it wont lock manually, with the switch or with the key. Have not really tried to fix it yet but would be nice to have a starting point before I begin throwing parts at it hoping to get lucky.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:50 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Removed both door panels starting with the drivers side to see if the plug had come loose. Forgot to mention I changed out speakers in both doors. Drivers side plug was pulled apart & reconnected. Pulled passenger door panel and unplugged the connector and reconnected it again and "viola" it now works again. I did have a problem with the remote not always working. Probably been this passenger side plug all along. Most likely a little corrosion. Pulling the plug apart and reconnecting it seems to have cured the problem Works perfectly now. Good luck with yours. Post it here if you get it working.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:43 AM

Having a similar problem with mine. Replaced door speakers after they were already replaced, and now my door locks, and passenger window have stopped working. will check the passenger side connections to see what the deal is. Hopefully it's something as simple as this...
Old 11-30-2015, 01:19 PM

well I picked up a latch mechanism at the junk yard this weekend in order to try it out and got lucky cause they gave it to me for free. I just left the door panels off last weekend because I to replaced my speakers though that has nothing to do with my lock problem. With the door panels off all the locks work just fine both power and manually. My drivers side lock operating rod has to be binding up when I put the door panel on it. That is the only thing I can think of that would keep the drivers side lock from working either manually or powered. Door panel off everything works. Door panel on and none of the doors lock with power and all of them work manually except the drivers door. Aggravating but I will figure it out when I have time to sit and piddle with it during daylight hours if I ever get a day off that it doesnt rain.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:52 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.o i-6
Default window issues

from my research, the sodering points on driver door (master control) can go bad. just re-soder the original points and then re-install. they have you tube videos on how to trouble shoot