Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep lift/tire problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep lift/tire problem

Very new to this forum and to the jeep world all together ( I come from a subaru WRX/STI background). Picked up a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD over a month ago and installed a 3" Rough Country lift and purchased four 15X8 5X4.5 with 3.75" Backspacing wheels with four 31x10.5r15 Mickey Thompson BAJA MTZ's. Took it to a garage to have the tires balanced and mounted and was told that the offset of the wheel is negative and because of that and the size, when the wheels are turned, they rub against the front bumper plastic inside near the wheel well and they stopped right there. I think they said something about rubbing the flares too so they'd have to go... They also said I needed center rings which surprisingly did NOT come with the wheels. So my question is... how do I make this work? Do I...

1. Cut/remove the end caps off the front bumper plastic?

2. Remove the fender and do some body cutting?

3. Would spacers be necessary?

4. Where can I purchase center rings for these wheels? (give me a link)

5. Any suggestions or advice for fitting these size tires on 15x8 wheels on 3.75" BS with 3" lift? Will there be problems with the back fenders are well?

6. Should I just get different wheels with a different offset/backspace?

All advice and information about this is super helpful

Thanks

P.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. Cut/remove the end caps off the front bumper plastic?

Yes this should work, I prefer to remove them so they don't remove themselves while wheeling

2. Remove the fender and do some body cutting?

Honestly with that set up you shouldn't really rub anywhere except the bumper. But trimming IMO looks awesome and will help you not chew up tires while wheeling

3. Would spacers be necessary?

NO!! you have more that enough offset for 31"s, the offset is to help it not rub the lower control arms at full lock.

4. Where can I purchase center rings for these wheels? (give me a link)

Shouldn't need centering rings, this is first I've heard about using them on a Jeep. Pretty sure we're lug centric not hub-centric

5. Any suggestions or advice for fitting these size tires on 15x8 wheels on 3.75" BS with 3" lift? Will there be problems with the back fenders are well?

Back should be completely fine, but like i said i like the look of trimmed fenders(If you do the back, look up the cut and fold method. don't just trim them)

6. Should I just get different wheels with a different offset/backspace?

You got exactly what you need. Curious what tire shop you went to. I only go to discount or 4wp. They seem to have more common sense. I've had pretty much this exact set up, RC 3" AAL kit, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, 15x8 offset 3.75. I trimmed and never rubbed.

Really old pic, but it will give you an idea of what it'll look like, with a slight fender trim and not bumper caps. But those are stock wheels, only place i rubbed was the LCA's

Last edited by PurpleToxin505; 10-21-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeeps are Lug Centric. No need for rings. Your backspacing is fine. I run 15x10's with 3.50" BS and I've never rubbed my lowers even with 35x12.50s.

As for cutting. If you plan to lift it more or even just go a bigger tire, I would trim the fenders. It will help with your "flex" and look overall better IMHO. Then again, stock flares and bumpers do look good as well. Have you removed your inner fender plastic yet? That's gotta go cause I know you'll rub that. I'm surprised that you are rubbing the front end caps. Your front axle shouldn't be that far forward. Unless the guy was talking about the inner plastic.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell
Jeeps are Lug Centric. No need for rings. Your backspacing is fine. I run 15x10's with 3.50" BS and I've never rubbed my lowers even with 35x12.50s.

As for cutting. If you plan to lift it more or even just go a bigger tire, I would trim the fenders. It will help with your "flex" and look overall better IMHO. Then again, stock flares and bumpers do look good as well. Have you removed your inner fender plastic yet? That's gotta go cause I know you'll rub that. I'm surprised that you are rubbing the front end caps. Your front axle shouldn't be that far forward. Unless the guy was talking about the inner plastic.

Good advice to follow it will allow you more flex also with them trimmed. Here is a photo of mine with a 3" lift full leafs/coils trimmed fenders and 33x12:50x15's on a 15x8" wheel with 3.75" of BS. As you can see I have lots of clearance with very little trimmed. With your smaller tires I would think they would benefit from a trim also mine did when on a 31x10:50
Name:  JeepafterTirecarrierbumper003_zps35c3a113.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  91.9 KB

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 10-22-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: wrong photo