Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee XJ 5-Speed Manual Jerking/Clicking Noise

Old 10-30-2015, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee XJ 5-Speed Manual Jerking/Clicking Noise

Hey guys! Got a 1996 Jeep cherokee 5-speed with roughly 137,000 on it. Been noticing a slight jerking that's being happening while driving. Sometimes the jerk is also accompanied by a "click" noise that feels like something shifted slightly underneath? It's not rough enough to slow the car down and I;ve put it in both 4 wheel high and 4 wheel low with no problems turning/driving/etc. Any ideas on what this issue could be? If it helps in diagnosis I have been experiencing an occasional whine/squeal that seems to go away when the clutch pedal is pushed in or the shifter is moved out of neutral towards any gear. Been doing it for about a year and I already had a new clutch kit put in so I'm pretty certain that isn't the issue? Not sure if these two symptoms are related but figured I would throw it out there. Also wanted to mention the slight jerk/click/shift noise it's doing also happens in neutral when idling at a stop light. Everything else like idle speed, gear shifting, driving etc seems completely normal. So confused